New Lounger
    Thanks

Lost file ownership

Some time ago, I was infected and after several unsuccessful efforts, ended up using Malwarebytes to remove it. Ever since, my file ownership has been messed up. Even though I have only ever been the same user, the start menu shortcuts no longer show up, many folders cannot be written to, and many files cannot be updated.

Using the security tab in the properties box for many files and folders, I find that I cannot alter the permissions for the OWNER CREATOR, so it seems that either the virus or Malwarebytes has altered these settings.

Is there some way to fix this? I am not averse to editing the registry.

Thanks
    Hi jtshea,

Have you looked at the site BleepingComputer.com? If you know the name of the malware that infected you, they offer excellent step by step guides on complete removal of any in their database. If you are certain you are clean of the infection that hit you, this might be of help in the future.

See if this SevenForums tutorial on taking ownership of files/folders will help you. Also, here is the full tutorial linked to at the bottom of the tutorial page. Note the warning when you read the tutorials. Be sure to make backups of your current setup just to be safe.

Unhide.exe is a pretty effective program for restoring your icons to visibility after a malware cleanup. You can read an introduction to Unhide at BleepingComputer, and there is a download link included in post# 3.
    Last edited by Deadeye81; 2011-07-24 at 07:25. Reason: change unhide link

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Deadeye81 For This Useful Post:

jtshea (2011-07-24)

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks, Deadeye, I will look at all of these links.