Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

How to completely remove MS Office 2007?

How to completely remove MS Office 2007 from my system? I'm using Win7 Home Premium (32 bits).
    I think I did it the right way: I did the removal using the Control Panel, and then I used the appropriate Microsoft tool "Fix It" to completely remove leftovers from the Registry.
    What was my surprise after re-installing Office? The appearance was the same of the previous installation; all my macros were waiting for me, etc ....
    In other words, it was not completely removed.
    What did I do wrong?
    Any help is welcome.

Regards,
    Flores

2. Subscribe to our Windows Secrets Newsletter - It's Free!

Get our unique weekly Newsletter with tips and techniques, how to's and critical updates on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows XP, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google, etc. Join our 480,000 subscribers!

Excel 2013: The Missing Manual

+ Get this BONUS — free!

Get the most of Excel! Learn about new features, basics of creating a new spreadsheet and using the infamous Ribbon in the first chapter of Excel 2013: The Missing Manual - Subscribe and download Chapter 1 for free!

Thanks
    Hi Flores, as its an MS application, their might be an uninstall file for it in start menu All Programs. If not Download http://revo-uninstaller-portable.en.softonic.com/ and follow its instructions, using default settings.
    George's PC Specs. / Laptop. Desktop.

Thanks
    Quite often when you uninstall an app, the customizations and data are left behind because the app developer assumes you will be reinstalling the app or an upgraded app. I am not sure where Office saves it's customizations and macros, but obviously that folder was saved for use during the assumed reinstall. This article may provide some answers to that location.

An excerpt from another article:

If you used the macro recorder, the macros were probably stored in the Normal.dotm template. When you start a recording, you can specify where you want to save it, but most people just mash the OK button without even reading the dialog box, so Normal.dotm is the default. To locate that template, open Windows Explorer (the file manager, not the web browser) and enter this in the address box:
    %appdata%\Microsoft\Templates (Again, it's possible to store templates in a different folder, but very few people do. If you're one of them, look in the Word options Advanced File Locations dialog to see where the Templates folder is.)
    Usually we discourage the practice of copying Normal.dotm from one computer or user to another, because it stores a lot of personal customizations
    besides macros. When you're the user of both computers, though, it's OK -- in fact, it'll help to synchronize the settings so you're comfortable on
    both systems. (But it doesn't transfer customizations that are stored elsewhere, such as the registry, the Building Blocks.dotx file, custom themes, custom dictionary, etc.)
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ...............If not Download [URL
    http://revo-uninstaller-portable.en.softonic.com/[/URL] and follow its instructions, using default settings.
    Hi Roderunner,

I've tried the removal of Office using the Control Panel, because it does it automatically, but then I have to look for the leftovers as Ted mentioned on his answer above.
    I will try the Revo uninstaller you mentioned.
    Thanks for your help.

Cheers,
    Flores

Thanks
    ........Quite often when you uninstall an app, the customizations and data are left behind because the app developer assumes you will be reinstalling the app or an upgraded app. I am not sure where Office saves it's customizations and macros, but obviously that folder was saved for use during the assumed reinstall. This article may provide some answers to that location..
    Hello Ted,

YYEEEAAAHHHHHH.
    You are right! I will read the article.

Many thanks,

Flores

Thanks
    I had Office 2007 or my PC for a while and found it a HUGE Monster, so I went into Add/Remove programs and UN-Installed it.
    Then I went into the HD with Windows Explorer and removed the folders and whatever else I could find.
    Then I cleaned and re-compacted my registry and got rid of 30 meg's of registry crap left over from the UN-Install.
    That reduced the size of my registry by 1/3.

I won't let that beast anywhere near my PC, ever again.

I needed Word and Excel so I did a custom install of Office 2003 and installed only those two apps.
    Office 2003 is perfect for what I need.

I got rid of another monster when I deleted Adobe Reader and replaced it with "Foxit Reader".

Cheers mates!
    The Doctor
    Experience is truly the best teacher.

Backup! Backup! Backup! GHOST Rocks!

8. The Following User Says Thank You to DrWho For This Useful Post:

amflores (2011-07-27)

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    When I uninstalled 2007 to install 2010, I intentionally went through Control Panel because I figured that Microsoft would look after Microsoft and keep the good stuff. I was concerned that something like Revo Pro would mess with the registry and eliminate things I wanted.

I knew in advance that there is a difference in the default file locations, for example, but vast numbers of users routinely mess with file locations by locating data on a different drive from the system drive, so itís not rocket science to them, although it could be to users who havenít tried it. If you look at the differences in many discussions of it it might as well be rocket science. If nothing goes wrong, the programs can find the files without difficulty, based on the very information that the Control Panel uninstall retained for you, and you donít have to do a thing.

I was pleased that Microsoft kept the very things you seem concerned about, because setting up all of the personal choices in Options for every program is time-consuming. Some of it comes from Windows settings, and working your way through the spelling and grammar options is easy after the millionth time, but if you have built dictionaries and autocorrects and building blocks and macros I shudder at the thought of losing it all. I donít know how much of that is directly transferable from 2007 to 2010, but I can report that everything appears to work well in 2010. Please remember that 2010ís programs are all new versions, and some have substantial differences (and additional options to set).

Thanks
    .....I won't let that beast anywhere near my PC, ever again. I needed Word and Excel so I did a custom install of Office 2003 and installed only those two apps. Office 2003 is perfect for what I need.
    Hello DoctorWho,

Office 2007 came bundled with my laptop. Diferently from you, I also need OUTLOOK, besides EXCEL, the mostly used, and Word. I have no previous versions of MS Office, to do what you did, a custom install of only the apps you need.
    So, I am thinking to upgrade to MS Office 2010, and install just what I need .... and paying for a lot of apps and features I don't use.
    Thanks for your comments.
    Regards,
    Flores

Thanks
    Flores, Did the PC manufacturer bundle cd's or dvd's with the PC to reinstall if this becomes necessary? Quite often this bundle Office app is a limited or trial app to peak your interest so that you will buy the full app. A Google Search shows many sources for Office. I cannot attest to the trustworthyness of these offers, but many are listed. I hope one or more of these might help.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,133 Times in 1,045 Posts
    Office Home & Business, which seems to be the most adequate package considering what has been said here, can be bought directly from Microsoft, for aproximately 460 reais: http://www2.buyoffice.microsoft.com/bra/default.aspx

Thanks
    Hello dogberry,
    Your indepth comments makes me feel safe if I decide to switch to Office 2010, from 2007.
    Thanks,
    Regards,
    Flores

Thanks
    Hello Rui,

Office Home & Business is the one to buy as Outlook is also included.
    It costs about R$ 475,00.

Thanks,
    Flores

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,133 Times in 1,045 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by amflores View Post
    Hello Rui,

Office Home & Business is the one to buy as Outlook is also included.
    It costs about R$ 475,00.

Thanks,
    Flores
    Hi Flores,

Yes, on the link I posted, bought from Microsoft, through Digital River, I think it costs R$ 463.31.

Cumprimentos

Thanks
    =....Did the PC manufacturer bundle cd's or dvd's with the PC to reinstall if this becomes necessary?
    No, Ted. Unfortunately.
    I will have to buy it. I have severeal trustworthy suppliers, including M$
    Thanks,
    Flores

Administrator
    Thanks
    I've found the upgrade from Office 2007 to Office 2010 to be very straightforward. If you wish you can leave Office 2007 installed also except for Outlook (only one version of Outlook may be installed at a time). I've not had a good reason to leave Office 2007 installed though. If you've grown accustomed to the ribbon in Office 2007 then the Office 2010 UI will not be a shock to you. The ribbon is extended into the Office components from which it was missing in Office 2007. Also, it is much more customizable than in Office 2007 though not as much as some Office veterans would like.

NOTE: If you intend to install the 64-bit version of Office 2010 you MUST uninstall the 32-bit version of Office 2007 first. Microsoft recommends that unless you have a very good reason to install the 64-bit version Office 2010 that you install the 32-bit version. This is because many, if not most, Office addins have not yet been upgraded to run with the 64-bit version. There have also been some stability issues reported with the 64-bit version.

Joe

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast