5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Open forms and reports with limited access

We use a .mdb database in Access 2007 as a front end, with an SQL database as a back end. We have created shortcuts on users' desktops so that they can directly open forms and reports in Access. Is it possible to configure Access so that when users use a shortcut to open a form or report, they can only use that form or report and cannot see or use the rest of Access (tables, queries, etc.); i.e., like running a PowerPoint slide show in presentation mode from a .pps(x) file rather than in editing mode from a .ppt(x) file?

I am aware that Access can be started in runtime mode, but there does not seem to be a way to set this in the shortcuts created by dragging objects from Access to the desktop.

Alternatively, I am aware that obects and groups on the Navigation bar can be hidden, although it is easy for anyone to unhide them. Is it possible to create a copy of the .mdb file with hidden objects and groups on the Navigation bar that cannot be unhidden easily?

Alternatively, I am aware that Access can be started in runtime mode with a specific startup form. Is it possible to create a startup form that will work like a menu, with links to specified forms and reports?
    Last edited by Murgatroyd; 2011-07-25 at 00:26.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,457 Times in 1,326 Posts
    Murgatroyd,

You may find this Microsoft article useful. According to the article you can pass a Macro name which could then execute your desired report/query/form and the exit Access upon completion. Of course this isn't fool proof as an error or smart user could exit out or the Macro but for the normal case should work.
    May the Forces of good computing be with you!

RG

PowerShell & VBA Rule!

My Systems: Desktop Specs
    Laptop Specs

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks for your reply. I also found this article, which contains a number of tips on customizing the Navigation Pane and setting the Current Database options to control what users can see and do.
    http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/libr...ffice.12).aspx