New Lounger
    Thanks

Problem with applying updates to new / refurbished laptop

I recently purchased a refurbished Toshiba Tecra A9 laptop. The dealer informed me that the laptop had Vista Business installed with no updates applied. So the first thing I did was to start applying updates. During this process, I notice that the battery status on the system tray is showing "unknown remaining". Not to worried, I continued with updates until I got to Vista Service Pack 1. At this point the batter status became a problem. Suddenly all updates stopped. The service pack update displayed the message "make sure your computer is plugged in and is not running on the battery". I know enough about computers to do updates with the computer plugged in. Just to make sure that I wasn't running on the battery, I checked all connections. Yes I am plugged in. Still the same message from the update. I then shutdown the laptop, waited five minutes, and then started the laptop. No change. Next I tried removing the battery from the laptop and running on just the electricity (plugged in). No change. Lastly, I tried the battery in another computer to see if there was a problem with the battery reporting to the computer. The battery reported all its information correctly. I am at a loss. What do I do to have the laptop properly recognize the power status of my laptop, is there a way to get around this problem.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,397 Times in 1,220 Posts
    This is most likely to be an hardware issue than anything else.

When you have the power adapter connected to the computer, does the power DC IN led indicator show that the power adapter is connected?
    Last edited by ruirib; 2011-07-25 at 11:18.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Yes. I am also able to run the laptop without the battery attached. As previously mentioned, when the battery is not attached, the service pack update process still thinks that the computer is running on the battery.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Does that happen even when you boot without the battery?

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Yes. A restart with the battery attached or not makes no difference.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Clearly there is something wrong with Vista not detecting you are connected on AC power. I have no suggestions to solve that.

I suppose you were using Windows Update until now. Have you tried download the Vista SP1 installation file directly and then try to apply it? Not sure it will work, but I would try it anyway. It's also a preference of mine, I always install services packs by downloading the SP installers directly and not through Windows Update.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Sorry for the delay in responding to your last post. I have tried all suggestions, and still no success. I have also contacted the vendor where I purchased the laptop, and they are going to do a straight exchange. Here is hoping the replacement doesn't have the same problems.

Thanks for all your suggestions.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by sdawes View Post
    Sorry for the delay in responding to your last post. I have tried all suggestions, and still no success. I have also contacted the vendor where I purchased the laptop, and they are going to do a straight exchange. Here is hoping the replacement doesn't have the same problems.

Thanks for all your suggestions.
    Hope the new laptop works better than this one .

Thanks
    Also, go to the Toshiba web site and make sure you have the latest drivers and BIOS updates for Windows Vista.

Jerry

Thanks
    I have an HP refurbished laptop which is continuously creating problems from last month...Recently the laptop keeps giving a BSOD(blue screen of death) and I tried everything to solve this issue..But was unable to solve it.I even had tried formatting the hard drive and installing windows 7 on it ( previously had windows vista) and early on in the installation it gives a BSOD)...Now am not getting what should be done to solve this BSOD issue...Need suggestions..
    Is it a hardware issue???

refurbished laptop
    Last edited by homercole; 2011-12-05 at 06:52.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Would be helpful to know what caused the BSOD. BlueScreenView can help with that.

Thanks
    Check the temps with an app like HWMonitor . Anything approaching 50 degrees C is suspect. Also run a memory check with something like Windows memory diagnostic . Overheating and faulty memory are the two main causes of random Windows crashes.

Jerry