New Lounger
    Thanks

How do I stop repetitive prompting for an unwanted update.

There appears to be a recent change to Windows update - it used to be possible to hide an unwanted update and receive no more update reminders. The facility seems to be no longer available.
    Specifically, I am receiving a prompt to install the MS Office 2007 Junk Mail Filter update, which I do not need as I do not use Outlook.
    I could install it and never use it but would prefer not to do this.
    Has anyone any suggestions please?

2. Get our unique weekly Newsletter with tips and techniques, how to's and critical updates on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows XP, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google, etc. Join our 480,000 subscribers!

Excel 2013: The Missing Manual

+ Get this BONUS — free!

Get the most of Excel! Learn about new features, basics of creating a new spreadsheet and using the infamous Ribbon in the first chapter of Excel 2013: The Missing Manual - Subscribe and download Chapter 1 for free!

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,153 Times in 1,062 Posts
    You can right click it with your mouse and choose Hide Update.

Thanks
    Stumpy,

When the update screen displays click on the blue link {in the graphic below this would be 1 Optional update is available} to view the updates.
    You should now be able to right-click on the update and select Hide update.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by RetiredGeek; 2011-07-25 at 14:48. Reason: Add graphic
    May the Forces of good computing be with you!

RG

VBA Rules!

My Systems: Desktop Specs
    Laptop Specs

Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    Right click on the update and select Hide.

That should remove it from the list of available updates and prevent it from prompting again.

(oops..... 3rd in line with this tip, should have been quicker off the mark!)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Tinto Tech View Post

(oops..... 3rd in line with this tip, should have been quicker off the mark!)
    Yeah when everyone is typing and adding graphics it's who hits the Post button first.
    May the Forces of good computing be with you!

RG

VBA Rules!

My Systems: Desktop Specs
    Laptop Specs

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thank you for your help. Sorry for the delay in thanking all of you as I have been incommunicado for a couple of weeks.
    In an earleir version of Windows update you could do this from the main screen.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    After installing Windows Essential Update had failure with the Messenger module. I kept getting repetitive message that "
    Windows Essential Update available"

Here is what I did with success in stopping that repetitive message of update available.

You need 4 free programs installed on your system:
    1. Revo Uninstaller
    http://www.revouninstaller.com/revo_..._download.html
    scroll down for free version

2. Wise Disk Cleaner
    http://www.wisecleaner.com/

3. Wise Registry Cleaner
    http://www.wisecleaner.com/
    scroll down to the Free Download

4. Ccleaner http://www.filehippo.com/download_ccleaner
    before proceeding.

Open Revo Uninstaller after being installed & study programs listed. I found sever Active X entries relating to Windows Live Mesh & several more in foreign languages. Keep the Mesh Active X Control that is in English.

Right click on foreign language items you want to get rid of.
    Select "Remove Entry"

When all items you wanted to remove are gone, open up Wise Disk Cleaner, "Start Scan" & then "Start Cleaning."

Open Wise registry "Start scan" & then
    "Start cleaning".

Run Ccleaner & Registry Scan for Issues.

Rebooted and no longer get repetative message that Windows Essential Update available.

Thanks
    They pulled off a big one on XP users recently. Although I had IE7 & had IE8 "hid" (don't show it again), recently MS pulled a fast one & downloaded & installed IE8 anyway. This happened on all 8 of my XP installs, & some friends also.

MS is known for pulling a fast one now & then. On Windows 7, I have 2 updates hid, that NET Framework 4 & KB971033. The NET 4, I don't need. As far as KB971033, I don't need that either. Both of my main Windows 7 installs came installed from the OEM as Home Premium, I bought Windows Anytime Upgrade keys to Pro for each, what more proof does MS need that I'm the licensed user of the OS's.

So far, even after 2 years, MS has held to their promise that KB971033 would be voluntary, & I applaud them for that.

But shoving IE8 down user's throats who hid the update is another deal. The only thing that I use IE for is updating on XP, as far as that goes, IE6 can do that just fine. On XP, IE7 is simply a better browser.

Cat
    My System Specs:

http://speccy.piriform.com/results/N...gWw3zT1A30RkV3 MSI Notebook (OEM Win 7 Pro x64)

http://speccy.piriform.com/results/8...3hQlSkXzuDfbKb Dell XPS 8700 w/Windows 8

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by catilley1092 View Post
    Although I had IE7 & had IE8 "hid" (don't show it again), recently MS pulled a fast one & downloaded & installed IE8 anyway. This happened on all 8 of my XP installs, & some friends also.
    Did you uninstall IE8 on all eight of your XP installs?

Quote Originally Posted by catilley1092 View Post
    But shoving IE8 down user's throats who hid the update is another deal. The only thing that I use IE for is updating on XP, as far as that goes, IE6 can do that just fine. On XP, IE7 is simply a better browser.
    How is IE7 better?

Bruce

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I tried this and nothing happened when I right-clicked on the link. The link referred to the Bing Bar which I don't use.

Thanks
    The main reason Microsoft is pushing IE 8 is that all previous versions are insecure and open to malware attacks.

Jerry

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by nate01pa View Post
    I tried this and nothing happened when I right-clicked on the link. The link referred to the Bing Bar which I don't use.
    Left-click the link and then right-click the update to reach the Hide update option (as explained in post #3).

Bruce

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by BruceR View Post
    Did you uninstall IE8 on all eight of your XP installs?

How is IE7 better?

Bruce
    Yes, I did uninstall IE8 from most of them, those which I've booted into. I have 2 versions of XP Mode that hasn't been opened since then.

IE7 is better for XP, due to less system resources being used, & taking more real estate on the monitor (IE8 added toolbars). IE8, at that time, was developed for the up & coming Windows 7 Beta at that time (spring of 2009).

Many XP users doesn't even use IE anyway, except for updating, even IE8 is 3 years old.

There are at least 4 other well known browsers that allows for their latest version to be installed on XP. Firefox, Google Chrome, Opera & Safari. MS alienated XP users by the denying us IE9, which was a lot of thanks to us who kept MS afloat during a very bad period of time (the Vista experiment). Many users who found the OS unusable had to buy retail XP OS's, which put even more cash into MS's pockets. Some users were allowed to downgrade for free.

And then this, we chose to hide an update years ago, & it gets slid in anyway. Lesson learned. I've changed my update settings to let me know, but don't automatically download or install them. This allows me to comb through my updates, something that I shouldn't have to do. Just more trouble for XP users, that's all. MS has turned their backs on the very ones who made them big time, at peak usage, 80% of desktop users were XP ones. No other Windows OS will ever eclipse Windows XP's success, nor their longevity, not even Windows 7. According to many sources at Windows 7's release, XP usage would nosedive to less than 20% within 2 years. It hasn't happened.

http://arstechnica.com/microsoft/new...me-a-curse.ars

None of my hidden Windows 7 updates were treated like this. They're probably waiting until 2018, 2 years before Windows 7's end of support comes around.

Cat
    My System Specs:

http://speccy.piriform.com/results/N...gWw3zT1A30RkV3 MSI Notebook (OEM Win 7 Pro x64)

Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    Cat, I'm intrigued by the behaviour of Windows Update that you describe. I've not seen it do that before. If a user chooses to hide an update, it should not be offered again, but this is controlled by the Knowledge Base number (KB)

On the affected machines, if you view the hidden updates, do you still see the hidden IE8 update? Is it the same KB number as the installed IE8 shown in the installed updates table? Can you compare the hidden update KB number on unaffected machines with the installed KB on affected PC's?

If Windows Update is offering IE8 after you have previously hidden it, either the Update service is broken (but that would be odd on multiple machines), the KB is different, or something systematic has changed across all the affected machines.

Thanks
    It could have been that the KB number changed, I didn't compare to see. I'll try what you suggested to see.

It would be very odd for the Update service to be broken on multiple machines, not only mine, but a few friends also. That KB # could very well be the answer.

Thanks,
    Cat
    My System Specs: