Bronze Lounger
    Thanks

W97 - Track changes question

Hi all

A number of concerns that legal staff have in that when we send a document by email to a client and we have had track changes turned on the client can see the history of the mark up of the document.

For example if you except the changes then the client could never see the history by turning track changes on.

I have tested & emailed this process & the result is - one cannot view the history of the track changes doc.
    Is this correct???

Any ideas/input/solutions/workarounds would be greatly appreciated.
    TIA Diana

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Re: W97 - Track changes question

Diana,

It can be possible to see the history- or "metadata". Open up a Word document you've tested in Notepad- you may well be able to see some of the changes you've since removed.

Have a look at the thrad on Cleaning Word files for info on removing it.
    Subway Belconnen- home of the Signboard to make you smile. Get (almost) daily updates- follow SubwayBelconnen on Twitter.

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks

Geoff

What I want is for the end users receiving the word doc by email not to be able to view the track changes on the document.
    Diana

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Diana,

The only way you can really make sure that clients cannot see tracked changes (or even some untracked changes) in some way shape or form is to clean it out. Turning off tracking is probably not enough- as there is a lot of leftover data in a Word document which could be potectially damaging if viewed by a client- and that data could be viewed just by opening up the document in Notepad. That's why I pointed you at the "cleaning" thread. Solutions included coverting the Word doc to Adobe pdf; sending it via a fax driver; or using a metadata cleaner utility.

I'm not sure though whether I've answered your question properly- sorry[img]/w3timages/icons/sad.gif[/img]
    Subway Belconnen- home of the Signboard to make you smile. Get (almost) daily updates- follow SubwayBelconnen on Twitter.

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks

Geoff

Very much appreciate your helpd!!!

cheers Diana

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks

Geoff

To see 'metadata" is the procedure
    open a word document using Notepad.

I did that & what I saw was gobbly gock or some wingding fonts.
    How does one determine/ see the changes.

However I did highlight some of the "

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Diana,

There's lots of gobbledy gook- but there is legible text in there. It stores all sorts of things theres- macros, formatting etc as well as the words.

Sometimes you see letters all run together, and not very legible- and as you say, sometimes other strange things might happen.

You won't be able to see specifically that a line is related to a particular word in the docuemnt. The p[oint is more that things like tracked changes are stored in there somewhere- and it's possible that deleted text is also in there. You would certainly not like to have a client see in the document some comment that may have been made in jest (or not) which you don't want the client to see- in any circumstances.

It's possible that you can see yourself more clearly what's in there with something that doesn't do any formatting- one of the hex viewers which I used to use a lot in my DOS days, for instance; or view it by opening up the file in VBA and stripping out non-readable characters (if you want to go that far).

There's probably something about it in the microsoft site, but I can't get in there at the moment. Also check out Woody's archives- sorry, I can't get in there either.

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks

Geoff

Thanks for the info!!! extremely enlightning!!!
    Diana

nehmar

Check out http://www.payneconsulting.com
    They have a program that cleans metadata.