New Lounger
    Thanks

Thumbs down Lion OSX 10.7 network printer incompatibilities

Encouraged by early reviews of Apple's Lion OS, I upgraded my iMac from Snow Leopard. Surprise #1: None of my printers that are directly attached to and working fine on the iMac under Lion can now be shared by any networked Windows PCs, from XP thru Win 7. Windows PCs can see all the iMac's files, but not its printers. Surprise #2: Lion will not network at all with Windows 98SE, rendering useless my SE network file and print server. Apple confirms these unpublicized and very disappointing support omissions. News on any work-arounds would be welcome.

Follow-up: Installation of Bonjour Printer on all Windows machines did solve the remote printer problem.
    Last edited by JoeMc; 2011-09-25 at 15:45. Reason: update

Thanks
    There are many examples of Lion breaking things. Most Adobe apps don't work. One poster (probably more) states Lion may have broken his dual boot Win 7, using Boot Camp. Many other posts of broken apps. Appears to be a rush to upgrade without enough testing. You mean MS isn't to blame, who knew!
    Last edited by Medico; 2011-07-26 at 04:28.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

Thanks
    Hello Joe, and welcome to the Lounge!

Most likely we will have to wait for Apple to supply the fixes and/or work arounds to the issues caused by Lion. I have an iMac dual booting with Windows 7 via Boot Camp, and I waited to see what issues hit the fan before upgrading. Windows 7 was the only OS I have ever jumped on immediately upon release, and I have no regrets.

It did not take long to see there are teething problems with Lion, and the last thing I want to contend with is losing my Windows 7 partition on the iMac and having to start from scratch. Given the problems with the Lion upgrade, restoring the image I maintain on my Windows 7 partition may not be of much use.

Thanks
    My CS5 seems to work fine with Lion so I think I'd probably dispute that most Adobe apps don't work.
    Regards,
    Rory
    Microsoft MVP - Excel.

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Recently here at the large hospital system where I work an alert was issued asking users running that OS to not log into the network including remoting in from home since Lion was breaking other things on the network. An OK went out yesterday so they must have found a solution. That's all I know since I don't work in IT but am a pharmacist.

Thanks
    I have heard similar issues of network problems.
    Regards,
    Rory
    Microsoft MVP - Excel.

New Lounger
    Thanks

Smile Solution to Surprise #1

Quote Originally Posted by JoeMc View Post
    Encouraged by early reviews of Apple's Lion OS, I upgraded my iMac from Snow Leopard. Surprise #1: None of my printers that are directly attached to and working fine on the iMac under Lion can now be shared by any networked Windows PCs, from XP thru Win 7. Windows PCs can see all the iMac's files, but not its printers. Surprise #2: Lion will not network at all with Windows 98SE, rendering useless my SE network file and print server. Apple confirms these unpublicized and very disappointing support omissions. News on any work-arounds would be welcome.
    The installation of Bonjour Printer on my XP solved problem #1!! Now my XP can see all three printers directly attached to my iMac and I presume the iMac can act as the print server to my 4 other networked windows PCs once I have Bonjour installed on all of them.