Thanks

Table Question - 2003

I have never understood the mysteries of getting the columns in tables to come out the way you want them to, but I've always been able to muddle through and get a satisfactory table. Now I have a need to do something with greater precision, and I really don't know how to do it.

I have a 500+ row Word table that I convert to HTML and put up on my web site. Everything is very carefully fitted. There are two columns, but for some rows they are merged. You can see it all online HERE. The table in question consists of everything from '7.7" Upload to Xara" on down to the very bottom.

Now I need to add a column to the left of the existing ones, and I'm concerned that doing so might really mess up my spacing. (It is my ignorance that is at the root of the concern.)

I want to start by inserting a 1/2" column at the left, but I may want to make it wider or narrower when I see how it fits where I'm going to put it. The table is 7.7" wide now, and is laid out in portrait mode for letter-sized paper. I probably want to convert it to landscape mode, just so I don't run out of horizontal space.

How can I add a column to the left, without changing the widths of the other columns?
    Last edited by Lou Sander; 2011-07-26 at 01:09.
    Lou Sander
    Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
    USA

Thanks
    First, make a new copy of your document. In the table properties, turn off auto-sizing. On the Table tab of the Properties dialog, this is behind the Options button. That should prevent any automatic table or column size changes. Now make the orientation landscape. So far, so good?

Finally, insert the new column. Because of merged cells, I'm not sure exactly how well that part will work. Perhaps if you insert it on the right side and then drag it to the left??

Thanks
    Good advice about making a copy of the document!

The auto-sizing was already off. (I probably figured that out long ago, then forgot about it.)

The conversion to landscape went without a hitch.

Trying to insert a new column was a nightmare. No matter where I did it, the cells resized in seemingly irrational ways. I tried several ways of inserting new cells instead of columns. Same nightmare.

Then, knowing that what I really wanted was for the whole table to be a little better centered on my web page, I tried using Table Properties to indent the table 0.5" from the left. Saved it as Filtered HTML, uploaded it to the web site, and voila!, I got what I needed. See it HERE. (There's a cryptic reference to the Lounge at the very top!)

I haven't been very successful at learning the details of "filtered HTML," but it works great for what I've been doing with it.
    Lou Sander
    Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
    USA