New Lounger
    Thanks

Angry McAfee's new marketing low

I have never been a fan of McAfee and Norton since they mercilessly try to get their non-technical customers to pay them money even if they don't really need to. This was the case with my dad who paid for upgrades multiple times that he did not need (he's now on a free AV product and I don't have that issue now).

I just received a letter from McAfee stating that my McAfee Total Protection subscription expired July 2011 and to ensure that my PC protection doesn't lapse, I should go to a specific URL to renew. I haven't paid for either McAfee or Norton in at least 10 years, so there's no way they even remotely have a record of me having a recent subscription.

This is a new low in their marketing department finding ways to trick people into send them more money unnecessairly. I wonder how many people like my father received this mailing and paid them to renew for something that they didn't even own.

Thanks
    David, Welcome to the Lounge.

I am also NOT a fan of McAfee, but I wonder if this is actually from McAfee or one of those drive by scammers. It is very difficult to see the difference with these nasties. Reputable developers do not normally resort to these tactics. Of course it's possible McAfee has sunk this low.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

Thanks
    Thanked 1,457 Times in 1,326 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DavidRRobinson View Post

I just received a letter from McAfee
    David,

A letter {snail mail} not an email? In either case was it addressed directly to you or your father by name not Dear Customer, etc.? If not, I'd say it was spam. However, if it was you're right a new low!
    May the Forces of good computing be with you!

RG

PowerShell & VBA Rule!

My Systems: Desktop Specs
    Laptop Specs

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,398 Times in 1,221 Posts
    If you check consumeraffairs.com, there are numerous complaints about McAffee's behavior regarding renewals and automatic charging of credit and debit cards. I think you should monitor your cards movements very carefully, to avoid paying for services you never signed up for (some of the stories on consumeraffairs are from people that never signed up for the service, either).

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I didn't think this was a new tactic.
    Chuck

Thanks
    I think this shows that McAfee must have sunk this low. They used to be a very reputable developer, but they seem to have become one of the phishers they originally were trying to stop.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

New Lounger
    Thanks
    It was addressed to me directly. The URL is mcafeeupdatecc.com which is registred to McAfee according to WHOIS, so it sure looks like it's from McAfee to me.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by DavidRRobinson View Post
    It was addressed to me directly. The URL is mcafeeupdatecc.com which is registred to McAfee according to WHOIS, so it sure looks like it's from McAfee to me.
    I get a strange error trying to visit that domain, and Google shows a lot of very strange combinations. I think it might be (or might have been) an affiliate marketing gig, where people spam you, you click through their link, that redirects you to McAfee's store, then they get a commission if you re-up.

Thanks

Cool

Hmmmm!
    I just typed that address into Firefox and got a nice little ERROR message telling me that it's not a legal address (URL)

Years and years ago, McAfee was a fledgling Anti Virus company and their program would fit on a single 3.5" floppy disk.
    It was even free and I used it quite a bit then. (ancient history)

But now, there are two very important programs on my Utilities disk....one is the "Norton Removal Tool" and the second one is "The McAfee Removal Tool". I'm appalled at how many brand new computers come out of the box with both of those worthless programs installed at the factory.

I'll stop now, before this becomes a RANT!

Cheers Mates

The Doctor
    Experience is truly the best teacher.

Backup! Backup! Backup! GHOST Rocks!

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by DrWho View Post
    I'm appalled at how many brand new computers come out of the box with both of those worthless programs installed at the factory.
    They're not worthless. Each AV has its pros and cons, and some features are more important to some folks than others. If no one wanted it, they'd give up on the consumer market and focus on the more profitable enterprise market. (Actually, they are more focused on that market all the time...)

Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    Likewise I get an error message when trying to browse that url in Chrome.

Curiously, the error is reported by a site at https://expresslandingpages.com rather than Chrome or McAfee. When I try to browse to that url it get to http://login.easypurl.com/Login.aspx...ookieSupport=1, which seems odd for a McAfee url. Going to www.easypurl.com indicates what is happening here: it's a personalised direct marketing campaign.

However, mcafeeupdatecc.com is a genuine domain registered to McAfee as a quick whois lookup shows. So you can be safe in the knowledge that it is not a scam, but simply direct marketing.

As to whether McAfee software is worthless, I personally think they have a very powerful set of tools - residential tools suitable for novice users who know little about internet security, yet need to remain protected. For novices who need to be sure they are protected and who do not have the knowledge to find, download and install alternatives, pre-installed AV such as McAfee, Norton and others do provide a valuable service.

Do I use, provide or supply McAfee? ....No: it is too heavy on resources for my liking as are a number of other headline offering from other companies.

Does any antivirus offer complete protection? ...No almost by definition they can't and I have seen every major AV offering fail to intercept a problem at some point in time on client machines.
    Last edited by jscher2000; 2011-08-01 at 22:38. Reason: Fixed whois link.

Thanks
    Totally agree with Jsher2000 and Tinto Tech. The AV solution with the best coverage changes from month to month in my estimation. When I work on a PC with any Anti Virus installed, I tend to leave it unless it requires a paid subscription or it currently has major resource issues. The Freeware AV programs (Avast, AVG, and MSE) are close enough in coverage to not justify using a paid subscription solution.

Jerry

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Ted Myers View Post
    David, Welcome to the Lounge.

I am also NOT a fan of McAfee, but I wonder if this is actually from McAfee or one of those drive by scammers. It is very difficult to see the difference with these nasties. Reputable developers do not normally resort to these tactics. Of course it's possible McAfee has sunk this low.
    I dumped McAfee Antivirus many years ago due to their incessant nag screens trying to sell me on their other software. I have always told my friends to use ANYTHING else - recently moved many people to MSE.
    Rick Groszkiewicz
    Life is too short to drink bad wine (or bad coffee!)