Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    iNET Interactive
    Thanks

Take a short summer break from patching

PATCH WATCH

By Susan Bradley

Normally the fourth Tuesday of the month is when Microsoft releases the surprise updates often important fixes for Windows.

So it's a pleasant surprise that Microsoft did not release any major Windows-related patches this week. Take some time in the sun!

The full text of this column is posted at WindowsSecrets.com/patch-watch/take-a-short-summer-break-from-patching (opens in a new window/tab).

Columnists typically cannot reply to comments here, but do incorporate the best tips into future columns.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I think your Patch Watch column is one of the most useful reads on the Internet. I use it every month to help sort out what MS patches are useful and what can be ignored. I just wanted to take this opportunity to offer my experience with Office 2010 SP1 regarding your current recommendation to skip it in your problem-patch chart:
    As per your recommendations, I did not update my 200+ installations of Office 2010 when SP1 came out. Then a few weeks ago, I updated my Exchange Server from 2007 to 2010 and I immediately had problems with Outlook Calendar. The fix was to install Office 2010 SP1. So far, I have not seen any problems with the service pack, and it resolved the Outlook Calendar problem.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    "LogMeIn now offers remote PC updating" I can't understand why anybody would pay $70/year for a product that a competitor offers for free and is a superior product. Teamviewer has offered remote updating for 2 or 3 years and is free for personal use.

New Lounger
    Thanks

Dangerous Patch?

Here's a danger I didn't see coming: Running Win7Pro, I downloaded what was supposedly Microsoft's KB2544035 patch - MSSE Client Update - from Windows Update, along with several other updates. When I attempted to install it, MSSE alerted me with "Win32/Zwangi_Names" and recommended to remove it. I OK'd that, and it was apparently removed, but my system went south! I could not open any folders; could not access Control Panel; could not open Windows Explorer; could not open MSSE, or my Avast AV. I could still run some programs (didn't try all of them).

I went through several System Image restores, and after each one everything worked normally until I tried installing the updates again... the same warning came back, with the same results. After the last restore this morning, I hid the KB2544035 patch and did not install it. I did install all the others, and everything is still working at 5:45 pm. I downloaded the latest version of MSSE and installed it with no problems, and the patch is no longer showing up. Has anyone discovered whether or not this is a fake patch? It came directly from Microsoft Update. Doug Simmons

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by buggsy2 View Post
    "LogMeIn now offers remote PC updating" I can't understand why anybody would pay $70/year for a product that a competitor offers for free and is a superior product. Teamviewer has offered remote updating for 2 or 3 years and is free for personal use.
    Where exactly does Team viewer do remote patching? I've used it, and while you can remote into a machine and run Microsoft update remotely, that's not what logmein is doing. Logmein gives you a patch console to approve/deploy and monitor updates.

http://www.teamviewer.com/en/products/benefits.aspx
    Is there something new in teamviewer?

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Let me ask around, I haven't seen that personally.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I often have updates that Susan's column does not cover! I'm running Vista Home Premium and I always wait for Susan's column before installing any updates but there is always a puzzle as to what to do when her column does not cover the issue. This time the column says there are no updates but the update mechanism says there is one that sounds like it is important! It is Microsoft Security Essentials Client Update Package - KB2544035.
    Why was it not discussed and what should I do with it?

Thanks, Bill

New Lounger
    Thanks
    ".NET 4" As with most readers, I follow the Patch Watch recommendations very closely. So, up until two weeks ago, I had avoided the dreaded .NET updates. However, when I recently updated the maps in my Garmin StreetPilot GPS, the Garmin software would only work with .NET 4. Since I needed the map update, I reluctantly allowed the .NET 4 installation to proceed, followed by the related update. I experienced no problem with the .NET updates, and the Garmin map update worked as well. I waited a few weeks to make sure and wanted to let you know that I've had no problems with my Windows 7 Pro system after installing and updating .Net 4.

Thanks
    When I read Ms Bradley's post in this week's edition of the newsletter :
    "► What to do: If you feel adventurous and have nothing better to do with your free summer time, install the April and June .NET updates."
    I thought 'what the heck, I haven't had any bad experiences with these things" and went ahead with the April .NET update. After it installed, and got to the restart stage, my machine froze up on the "windows is conifguring" or whatever it says........ I waited and waited and waited. Finally figuring I'd have to do a restore image, I turned it off.

Then I took a deep breath and restarted..... all worked fine and is still doing so. But it scared the daylights out of me and now I am squeamish about any more .net updates.

But I do have a question on how long one should wait in a situation like this...... I gave it 30 minutes before I pushed the button. What is a reasonable time limit?

BJ

New Lounger
    Thanks
    You mention about the usefulness of .Net. I'm not quite sure what it is doing on my system. I notice that I have a user account calld asp.net which is password protected !!! I didn't put it there. Do I need it ? SHould I remove it ? Does it pose a security risk? I don't know the answer.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by dougsimmons View Post

Here's a danger I didn't see coming: Running Win7Pro, I downloaded what was supposedly Microsoft's KB2544035 patch - MSSE Client Update - from Windows Update, along with several other updates. When I attempted to install it, MSSE alerted me with "Win32/Zwangi_Names" and recommended to remove it. I OK'd that, and it was apparently removed, but my system went south! I could not open any folders; could not access Control Panel; could not open Windows Explorer; could not open MSSE, or my Avast AV. I could still run some programs (didn't try all of them).

I went through several System Image restores, and after each one everything worked normally until I tried installing the updates again... the same warning came back, with the same results. After the last restore this morning, I hid the KB2544035 patch and did not install it. I did install all the others, and everything is still working at 5:45 pm. I downloaded the latest version of MSSE and installed it with no problems, and the patch is no longer showing up. Has anyone discovered whether or not this is a fake patch? It came directly from Microsoft Update. Doug Simmons
    Are you running both Microsoft Security Essentials and Avast as active protections on the same computer? That is running two antivirus programs at once. Problems are inevitable if this is how you are using Avast and MSSE.

Personally, on Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit on my Toshiba Satellite, and on Windows XP Pro SP3 32-bit on my WinBook laptop, no problems with any MSSE recent updates (MSSE version 2).

However, when I tried to download onto the Satellite the MSSE definitions update alongside of the regular July 2011 MS Updates patches, that process hung and failed to install the MSSE updates. I cancelled, rebooted and went through the MS Updates process all over again, and this time only the MSSE definitions update was showing as still not installed. I downloaded it and it installed perfectly at that time.

My conclusion from this is that MSSE should not be updated through MS Updates at the same time as other updates are being installed. The procedure should be done separtately for MSSE. Your mileage may vary.

I have never seen MS Updates download a fake patch. However, I have had Avast flag a legitimate program update (not just MS Updates) as malware and recommend removing the program or the download. This looks like a false-positive from Avast, and Avast 6 has been full of similar false-positives. This is one reason why I stopped using Avast on the WinBook. And I replaced Avast with MSSE. Again, your mileage may vary.
    Last edited by bobprimak; 2011-08-01 at 16:59.
    -- Bob Primak --

Lounger
    Thanks
    What's the recommendation for KB 2512827, the Silverlight-.NET compatibility update? It was in Susan's June 16th column as a "wait," but it wasn't on the June 28, or any of the July lists. It's not one of the .NET updates listed in MS11-039 or MS11-044.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by MarciaG View Post
    What's the recommendation for KB 2512827, the Silverlight-.NET compatibility update? It was in Susan's June 16th column as a "wait," but it wasn't on the June 28, or any of the July lists. It's not one of the .NET updates listed in MS11-039 or MS11-044.
    When patches drop off the list, Susan says this is usually a sign that they are safe to install now. I find no problems with this patch on my Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit SP1 laptop.

Update: See below, as Susan says the patch is still in the list.
    Last edited by bobprimak; 2011-08-07 at 15:12.
    -- Bob Primak --

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by peterhb View Post
    You mention about the usefulness of .Net. I'm not quite sure what it is doing on my system. I notice that I have a user account calld asp.net which is password protected !!! I didn't put it there. Do I need it ? SHould I remove it ? Does it pose a security risk? I don't know the answer.
    The .net install put it on there, just leave it, it doesn't pose a security risk.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    It should be listed, trying to keep up with the .nets is a full time job. It's your call. On XP's they've had more issues than win7's.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast