New Lounger
    Thanks

Error message in Outlook

My sister has Windows Vista and uses Outlook for her e-mail. She has been having problems with an error message when she tries to open Outlook. The message reads "The host 'pop.charter.net could not be found. Please verify that you have entered the server name correctly." Charter is her internet provider. She then closes out of Outlook and reopens it and it connects right away. Any idea why she has to go through this procedure and/or is there any way to prevent this error message from recurring? I've tried turning off any firewalls that I can find, but that doesn't make any difference.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,058 Times in 927 Posts
    If this happens immediately after she boots the system perhaps she is not waiting quite long enough for all the networking to be initialized.

Joe

New Lounger
    Thanks

Error Message in Outlook

Thanks for the advice Joe. I have passed it along to my sister, but I really don't think that's the problem as she seldom shuts her computer down so there is no need to boot up. Any other thoughts?

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,058 Times in 927 Posts
    If the computer uses sleep or hibernation have her use Device Manager to check the power management settings tab under Properties for the NIC.

Joe