iNET Interactive
    Thanks

Pros and cons of a 'keyfile' password

LANGALIST PLUS

Pros and cons of a 'keyfile' password

By Fred Langa

Free encryption software lets you use the first 1,024 characters of any file you choose as a gigantic password.

But using keyfiles carries special dangers you need to be aware of or risk locking yourself out of your own data forever!

The full text of this column is posted at windowssecrets.com/langalist-plus/pros-and-cons-of-a-keyfile-password/ (paid content, opens in a new window/tab).

Columnists typically cannot reply to comments here, but do incorporate the best tips into future columns.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Re: E-mail address 'aliases' add security... "myname+windowssecrets@gmail.com" is really a pretty weak way to 'disguise' your email address. All a scoundrel needs to do is look for and eliminate everything from the '+' to the '@' and what do you get? "myname@gmail.com". The so-called 'secure' email address is compromised.

I prefer Spamgourmet. I have an account there that redirects to my 'protected' address, and I can use the same sort of identifier tag with each website or vendor; windowssecrets.myname@spamgourmet.com. Similar to the gmail alias, but if the identifier tag is stripped out, myname@spamgourmet.com goes nowhere. If someone fakes an identifier I can get spammed, but the identifier is only good for a limited number of messages. I can specify @WindowsSecrets.com as a trusted sender and always get messages from that sender, and have anyone else using that identifier automatically ditched.

Thanks
    I use Spamex.com to generate email addresses as needed. Been using them for years. I have over 200 email addresses at this point. Cost is $10/year for up to 500 addresses and a max attachment size of 500k (they have other plans for a few $$ more).

They have a bookmarklet that opens the UI for creating/maintaining the email addresses. Email is forwarded to some other designated account. If you reply to an email, they scrub the email addresses so no knows the real address that you are replying from.

Unfortunately, support is non-existent but then, the service works consistently. I can't remember the last time there was an outage.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Re: Virtual credit card account numbers....since I upgraded to IE9, my Citibank Virtual Account Number will not autofill on a website, but, of course, i can fill in the forms manually, either by clicking and dragging the information or just typing it in. Also Citibank provides an online version that can be used without having software installed on your computer.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Dear Fed,
    Re: Virtual credit cards.
    I have cards from AmEx, Chase, MBNA, etc. and can find no reference to a virual/private/shopsafe feature on their websites.
    My research indicates that AmEx discontinued their Private Payments system in 2004 and that Paypal stopped their equivalent in 2006.
    I can find no current system other than a vague reference to a possible one for Citibank.
    Can you point me to the areas on the relevant websites?
    Thanks
    Ken Ormson

Thanks
    Along with Ken, I'd be interested in this info also. I've had to replace my Amex and Visa cards at least twice each in the last 3 years because someone stole the numbers after an online purchase. I think that the biggest exposure to CC number theft is from employees/contractors who have access to the CC number during or after the purchase transaction. A one-time CC number for online purchases would be a great idea!

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I don't have a virtual account but I have heard that there are issues with virtual accounts and wanted to know if anyone has experienced these or what to do about the situation. There is a concern not to use a virtual account number when there is a chance you may be required to show the card when picking up merchandise or services.

For example, many theaters and other venues want to see the credit card when picking up tickets at the will-call window. Stores want to see the card when you order merchandise to pick up in-store. Some airlines want to see the card when you check-in, particularly for international flights. And if you order on-line but later want to return merchandise to a store (for example, you order at taget.com but want to return to a local Target store), the store will want to see a physical card to process the return.

Are these real problems for people or not?