Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
    Thanks

Win7′s no-reformat, nondestructive reinstall.

Has anyone tried this procedure yet?
    If it really works, my God, it will save lots of tims, as there is no need to reinstall all apps.
    There is an article on the Lounge's homepage "Top-scoring articles in the past 12 months".

Regards,

Flores

Thanks
    Thanked 1,457 Times in 1,326 Posts
    Flores,

Yes, it does work. However, the concensus of the crowd here is that you should rely on Disk Imaging software for complete safety. See threads in the Security & Backup topic.
    May the Forces of good computing be with you!

RG

PowerShell & VBA Rule!

My Systems: Desktop Specs
    Laptop Specs

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    It DOES work - I've used it myself once in Win 7 and twice with XP. However, the song-and-dance you have to go thru if you've already installed SP1 & don't have a SP1 install disc limits its use for now. An image would be better (if you have one); otherwise - put on your dancing shoes.

Zig

Thanks
    .... Zig ......It DOES work ..... However, if you've already installed SP1 & don't have a SP1 install disc
    Hello Zig,

Control Panel tells me I have have Win7 Home Premium (32 bits) SP1installed.
    How do I know if my original install disc is SP1?
    There is just a X15-85615-01 besides the bla-bla-bla.

Regards,
    Flores
    Last edited by amflores; 2011-07-28 at 05:59.

Thanks
    Hello RetiresGeek,

Thanks, I am retired as you.
    Problem is, I have never used a Disk Imaging software.

Cheers,
    Flores

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,398 Times in 1,221 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by amflores View Post
    Hello Zig,

Control Panel tells me I have have Win7 Home Premium (32 bits) SP1installed.
    How do I know if my original install disc is SP1?
    There is just a X15-85615-01 besides the bla-bla-bla.

Regards,
    Flores
    Unless your disc is very recent, it won't include SP1. If it includes SP1 I would guess the disc will say it, but I can't confirm that.

If you want to do a repair install, you can always try your disc. If it is not SP1, you will be informed that the repair install can't be initiated.

About the imaging, I would say that it is a life saver. Most "resident" members here recommend it and different imaging software is used. There is even a free version of Macrium Reflect that you can use without any expense.
    Creating an up to date image before any major software change, such as doing a repair install (besides creating regular images) is highly recommended, as you can simply restore the computer using the image, if something goes wrong. I create images from my two computers every week.

Regards

Thanks
    amflores, Do a search on Image or Imaging in these forums. You will find MANY discussions on the benefits of Imaging, and even Step By Step Instructions using Macrium Reflect and Acronis True Image Home. Both are excellent 3rd party Imaging apps.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Ted Myers View Post
    amflores, Do a search on Image or Imaging in these forums. You will find MANY discussions on the benefits of Imaging, and even Step By Step Instructions using Macrium Reflect and Acronis True Image Home. Both are excellent 3rd party Imaging apps.
    I've used Acronis on my WXP Professional a number of times [and have it on my Win7 system.] I heartily recommend it. marty

Thanks
    ....Unless your disc is very recent.....If you want to do a repair install, you can always try your disc. If it is not SP1, you will be informed that the repair install can't be initiated........ About the imaging, ......There is even a free version of Macrium Reflect ...........Creating an up to date image before any major software change, such as doing a repair install, is highly recommended.
    Olá Rui,

My MS Win7 CD is not very recent.
    About imaging, this will be a new experience for me. Never dit it before. I use a backup program (FileBack PC, from Maximum Output Systems) to bkup all my data files.
    It does incremental bkups and I use it for many many years and never had any problems. It is very reliable.
    I installed the free version of Macrium Reflect, and I will be toying with the program to better understand how it works, before doing a Win7's no-reformat, nondestructive reinstall.

Confess that imaging being a new experience, it makes me a bit afraid of disaster.

Regards,
    Flores

Thanks
    Hello Marty,

Thanks for your sugestion.

Regards,
    Flores

Thanks
    Hello Ted,
    I never did any imaging before, and installed Macrium's free version.
    Will try to understand how it works through the many discussions on these forums.

Thanks again,
    Flores

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,398 Times in 1,221 Posts
    Hi Flores,

Imaging is really the most effective way to protect you from having to rebuild your system from scratch, when something serious goes bad. The concept is rather simple to grasp - you take a "picture" of your system, in a working condition and store it. When things go sour, you can just use the picture to get the system into as it was when you took its picture. I would say it's pretty much risk free.

Image files are best kept in a different drive from the one you imaged, so a different internal or external drive should be for it. All imaging apps allow you to create a boot disk, that will allow you access to your image, so that it can be restored, even when your system does not boot. Probably the thing to do here would be create such a boot disk with Macrium and test the image creation, if you have a second disk where you can store the image file.

Abraços

Rui

13. The Following User Says Thank You to ruirib For This Useful Post:

amflores (2011-07-30)

Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Zig View Post
    It DOES work - I've used it myself once in Win 7 and twice with XP. However, the song-and-dance you have to go thru if you've already installed SP1 & don't have a SP1 install disc limits its use for now. An image would be better (if you have one); otherwise - put on your dancing shoes.

Zig
    I haven't posted on this forum before, so will apologize in advance if I am breaking some sort of protocol or causing "thread drift".

I have successfully gotten around the "song and dance" aspects of the non-destructive re-install by slip-streamming SP-1 into my original Windows 7 using "Rt Se7en lite". This has effectively made the install disk an SP-1 version.

Please see http://www.rt7lite.com/

It was not very complicated and works well.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to al taylor For This Useful Post:

Just Plain Fred (2011-07-30)

Gold Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by al taylor View Post
    I have successfully gotten around the "song and dance" aspects of the non-destructive re-install by slip-streamming SP-1 into my original Windows 7 using "Rt Se7en lite". This has effectively made the install disk an SP-1 version.

Please see http://www.rt7lite.com/
    al,
    Hello...Interesting...And Welcome to W.S. Lounge...I have been reading through your link and had a question maybe you can answer ... Do you need to have SP-1 "on hand" ( previously downloaded ) to do this procedure ? As i have no experience with this program, probably deserves a thread of it's own ...As you have used this program before could you start one? Regards Fred
    PlainFred

None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free (J. W. Von Goethe)

Thanks
    Imaging is really the most effective way to protect you from having to rebuild your system from scratch, when something serious goes bad. I would say it's pretty much risk free.....Image files are best kept in a different drive from the one you imaged.....All imaging apps allow you to create a boot disk, that will allow you access to your image, so that it can be restored, even when your system does not boot. Probably the thing to do here would be create such a boot disk with Macrium and test the image creation if you have a second disk where you can store the image file.
    Hi Rui,

I installed the free version of Macrium Reflect and will create a boot disc.
    Then I will start testing Macrium and saving the test images to an external drive I have.

Can we select what we want to be saved on the image files?
    The reason for this question is that I have folders that are already stored on my external drive (picture, musics, documents, ...). They are updated twice every week using my backup program, and they are large. Am I missing something about what imaging does? Imaging and backup seem to be similars. Well, I don't bkup system files, just data files.

Forte abraço,
    Flores
    Last edited by amflores; 2011-07-30 at 20:11.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast