Gold Lounger
    Thanks

Linux Mint tweaks

Hello all,
    Found this article about "tweaking" Linux Mint ... Thought that it was a worthwhile read Mint Tweaks Regards Fred
    PlainFred

None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free (J. W. Von Goethe)

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Just Plain Fred For This Useful Post:

cipher (2013-01-15),ImChipBrown (2011-08-18),SF99 (2011-12-31)

Thanks
    Thanks Fred. If I ever get the time to install the new Mint I will check out the article.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

Thanks
    Interesting, Fred. I've bookmarked this one now. Thanks!

Hey, where did the Thanks button go?

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I tried a few of these in Ubuntu. They work as well. If you snoop around the linked site, you'll find there is an (almost?) identical Ubuntu Tweeks page. Thanks

6. The Following User Says Thank You to ImChipBrown For This Useful Post:

SF99 (2011-12-31)

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I see a "Thanks" button at the bottom left of each post.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi Fred, Thanks for the tips link and plan to use them to fix up my Linux 12 installation. By the way, I am interested in installing the Zorin 5.2 in place of my current Ubuntu 11.10 system ( I have Win Vista HP, Ubuntu 11.10, and Linux Mint 12 installed on my HP Pavilion dv9543cl which has two identical 160 GB harddrives). Everything seems to work well, however, I am just learning about linux systems and think that the Zorin 5.2 might be what I really want as it has so much flexibility; the free version has the ability to operate like Win XP, Win 7, and an earlier Win version while the donation-ware version has additional flexibility). It is based on Ubuntu and I would like to find an easy way to substitute for my current Ubuntu 11.10. Any suggestions?

Gold Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by wilwon3 View Post
    It is based on Ubuntu and I would like to find an easy way to substitute for my current Ubuntu 11.10. Any suggestions?
    wilwon,
    Hello...Zorin 5.2 sounds like what I'm looking for as well ( i will look into it though)...But have no experience with it. I'm still running Mint 11 and have tried (unsuccessfully) Ubuntu..What i do know is whenever i have tried to install any "Linux" OS in my multi-boot PC it always wants to make itself the "big dog", and will mess with my other OS's. ...So what i have found is this ...
    1. Download the OS and burn it to CD

2. Power down and remove (unplug) all of my hard drives...Data and OS's, except the one i want to place "Linux" on ( spare HD ..or one that i have made an Image of)...Even if it's only a temporary trial...a lot less problems this way.

3. Load up the new "distro" and "let-er-rip" ...

4. Play with the new OS a while ...If i like it and think that i might be a "keeper"... I'll power down and reconnect my other OS's

5. Re-boot into one of my old OS's, which are controlled boot wise with the free program EasyBCD ..once up i can then modify the boot sequence using EasyBCD to include the new "Linux distro" Post back with any results with "Zorin" or if you have questions ... Regards Fred
    PlainFred

None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free (J. W. Von Goethe)

Thanks
    @Deadeye81
    You only see the thanks button if you are logged in.

Jock

Thanks
    Thanks Fred.

I've been thinking of going to mint as I've had enough with Ubuntu 11.10/unity. However the Ubuntu system is in constant use and I need to get enough time to install Mint and reinstall apps. Will keep this article handy.

Jock

Thanks
    Jock, I believe deadeye most likely knows that. He is one of our administrators after all.
    Last edited by Medico; 2012-02-10 at 13:00.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

Thanks
    @Jock,

Thanks, Jock. I am aware one must be logged in to see the 'Thanks' button. The 'Thanks' button was missing on my browser screen when I posted that remark back in July. When I restarted my browser, I could see the 'Thanks' button again.

That may be one for Ripley's Believe It or Not!

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi Fred,

Thanks for your response; I have never tried EasyBCD, so will give it a try. As mentioned above, I currently have Ubuntu 11.10 on my drive 0 and Lint Mint 12 on drive 1. I am still learning how to use linux and have updated Ubuntu with the current version 10 of Firefox (great browser and it is available as an Ubuntu compatible version). I am thinking to seeing if I can use Easy BCD to reconfigure my boot loader to disable one or the other of the linux installations, then install Zorin 5.2 in place of that installation (or I may have to delete the partitions in which that linux installation currently exists). Will post my progress.