plovell

Mysterious error from Windows Networking

Hi all,

Our NT network server was infected by Nimda over the weekend. I ran F-Secure's disinfect software which, among other things, removed all the disk and printer shares from the server. I have now put them back by hand, but on trying to log on from Windows 95/98 machines I get the less-than-helpful message from Windows Networking: "The share name was not found. Be sure you typed it correctly". (of course it doesn't say WHICH sharename it's talking about....) Saying OK to this throws up the logon box again, so there's no way to get into the network. This message comes up after the username/password box, but BEFORE the user's login script has started. Does anyone know what it is doing at that point - looking for network printers perhaps?

Windows NT/2000 machines are working fine, and for them all the shares appear to be as they should be. Obviously I must have messed up in re-sharing something - but I'm really stuck as to what I need to look for!

Any help to calm down the queue of people at my door would be most appreciated!

Thanks,

Phil

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Mysterious error from Windows Networking

Phil,
    Sounds like you misspelled a share name. I'm guessing you have a logon script somewhere? I'd look for the correct spelling there and change either the share name or the logon script. Of course, they must match.

The logon script is just a batch file so it's a breaze to edit. But it defaults to different paths from NT4 to W2K. If you detail which is your domain controller I can tell you the default path from my server.

plovell

Thanks for that - I'm sure you're right that I've misspelled a sharename, but I'm also pretty sure that it's happening before the logon script, because I removed the script altogether (from WINNTSYSTEM32REPLIMPORTSCRIPTS - the domain controller is NT4) and I still get the "share name not found" message.

The sequence is:
    Client for Microsoft Networks logon box appears
    Floppy drive is checked (not sure if this is significant???)
    <type in username & password>
    hourglass appears for about 10 seconds
    Message Box appears "The share name was not found. Be sure you typed it correctly"

This happens for all users, but only with Windows 95/98 clients. NT and 2000 clients logon and connect all the shared drives without any complaints.

Phil

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Would you try something? Try cancelling the logon. Ya know... when it asks for username and password, hit the Cancel button. Does it still offer the share error message?

plovell

No it doesn't give the error if I cancel the logon, just fires up as normal (except for the network shares of course!)

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Ah Ha! Somewhere on one of your servers there is still a logon script. Check your user manager and remove the name of the logon script from an error producing user. Then try logging that user in on a 9x machine. If you have more than one server able to authenticate users, you may want to wait like 10 minutes for the change to replicate to the other servers.

plovell

I blanked-out the name of the logon script and - just as you said - no error. Great! Thanks a lot, I was beginning to lose hope there!

But... now if i try even the simplest logon script - e.g. an empty file! - the error comes back.

Having got connected by blanking out the name of the script I tried running the usual logon script manually. That works fine. There is nothing wrong with any of the sharenames in there.

So the problem is something to do with finding and running the logon script file itself, rather than what's in it? Does the WINNT..IMPORTSCRIPTS directory need to be shared or something?

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Glad we've got something going here...

The script directory does not have to be shared. Do make sure that the Permissions on that folder (and everything in it) are set to the following:

Everyone: Read (RX)(RX)
    Replicator: Change(RWXD)(RWXD)
    System: Full(Full)(Full)

plovell

Sorry I disappeared there! Modifying the affected users' profile to have no logon script allowed them to get in and run the script directly on the client, so they had a temporary fix and I got diverted into other things.

However, I thought you might like to know the final resolution of the problem: Although the scripts directory is not shared explicitly, it does appear as a kind of "virtual" share called NETLOGON (if you do Start | Run servername, for example).

The Nimda cleanup software had removed NETLOGON.

As a stab in the dark I just stopped and restarted the "Net Logon" service on the NT server. The NETLOGON "directory" has now reappeared and the Win 95/98/Me clients find and run the logon scripts properly!

Many thanks for your support with this - I hope this experience might be useful to somebody else some day!

Phil