Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Lounger
    Thanks

Angry Google Chrome Hijacked by Windows IE

Ever since I've had Windows 7 (3 weeks) I can not get Google Chrome to run independently. It is currently running on top of Windows IE ... or more appropriately, Windows IE won't get out of the way and let Google Chrome alone. I no longer have my Google Chrome Bookmarks, and a few other things. When I tried to dowload an 'Ad Blocker' app for Google Chrome (which I already had on my XP machine), I received the message 'You are not running the right browser for this app' (or words to that effect).

I downloaded Google Chrome again and went to it's folder and double clicked on the .exe file and that worked ... for a minute. But I couldn't move around in that window, and finally left. And now the .exe file in the Google Chrome folder is gone!

Anybody else experence this with Windows 7 and Google Chrome?

At first I thought I had Google Chrome installed (which I did) and so I pinned it to the task bar and that seems to be when Windows IE took over. It looks just like Google Chrome ... all of my email folders are there, etc., (some stuff missing as mentioned above) but it's not really 'Google Chrome'. It's Windows IE wearing a Google Chrome mask, and it's not funny - Microsoft!

Google Chrome was working perfectly on my old XP machine. Seems 'Microsoft' is not playing fairly ... again?

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thank you.

Gary

Thanks
    Gary, Welcome to the Lounge.

Did you upgrade to Win 7 from XP on this machine? Something did not install correctly if you did. I would try a repair install of Win 7. Google Chrome (any version) worked well with my Win 7 PC's during the several months I had it installed. I could open both IE and Chome simultaneously or independentaly without a problem. After the repair install, download and install Chrome again.

If the repair install does not fix the problem, you might have to do a complete reinstall of Win 7, followed by a reinstall of Chrome. This is not a case where MS is not playing fairly, it is a case that something did not install correctly. Are you sure the PC was virus free prior to the install? Did you try one of the transfer of user account apps to attempt to transfer account settings from the old OS to Win 7? What apps did you have running when you did the original install of Chrome?
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi Ted. Thanks for the response.

My new machine came preinstalled with Windows 7. XP is on my old machine (a long run of 8 years and still going strong, but I needed 64 bit for Photoshop and some other apps).

Anyway, I moved a lot of data files over but no executables. I got a fresh copy of Google Chrome and installed it on the new Windows 7 machine. But it just sits on top of Windows IE. I wish I could open them seperately or simultaneously (I can on my XP machine) ... but all I get is Windows IE with a Google Chrome mask. Even if I go the the Windows IE executable and launch it by double clicking ... these two browsers seems to be inextricably attached at the hip ... so to speak. I'm sure I caused it somehow, but don't know now how to fix it. My 'Microsoft' remark was just venting. ;-)

I've thought about un-installing Microsoft IE and re-installing ... but I think that's just asking for more trouble. My old XP machine has Windows IE6 and the new Windows 7 machine has Windows IE8. So I'm wondering if that version of IE has something to do with it? I have now installed Google Chrome twice, with no change in behavior.

Any other ideas?

Thanks.

Gary

Thanks
    If this is a new machine, it might be worth a call to whereever you picked it up. Something is not allowing the install, or is corrupt, who knows. They may just say sorry, user added S/W, but who knows. I would use an app like Revo Uninstaller to completely uninstall Chrome, and an app such as CCleaner to ensure all evidence of Chrome is gone. Once you are sure Chrome is gone, I would consider an upgrade to IE9 (by the way did your PC come with SP1 preinstalled?) Once it appears Win 7 and IE9 are working properly, attempt the Chrome download/install again. (which version of Chrome were you using)

Just so you know, You cannot uninstall IE from Win 7. You can go to Control Panel, Programs and Features, Turn Windows Features on and off and uncheck IE, but it does not get uninstalled. (I'm not positive you can even turn it off, I know you can go back from IE9 to IE8)

If you do not have Win 7 SP1, and you do intend to install SP1, this should be added before IE9 I believe.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    Where did you download Chrome from? It is possible the version of Chrome you downloaded is not Chrome at all, but something masquerading as Chrome. Of course, you should only download and install applications from trustworthy sources and some bad links are getting quite convincing at spoofing genuine sites. In this case, it should be downloaded only from Google, or perhaps one of the major trustworthy distribution sites.

The other thing that I wonder might have happened: you may have inadvertently installed a Chrome Skin, rather than Chrome itself. To help illuminate the problem, could you post a screen grab of the problem, specifically where you say that Chrome opens "on top" of IE. This is further suggested from your comment that AdBlock reported that you were not running Chrome (presumably it detected IE). Check Task Manager to see if Chrome or IE is running.

Thanks
    Hi Gary, first I would install IE9, then if Chrome is still installed set it as default from the start menu.

Attachment 28697
    O wad some Power the giftie gie us, to see oursels as ithers see us!

Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi All,

Thanks for all the responses.

I will try to answer your questions as best I can:

My new machine is from DELL, an XPS 9100 with Windows 7 Ultimate, IE9 and SP1 pre-installed. I only thought I had IE8 because I did not think IE9 was released yet.

I have removed anything related to 'GOOGLE', including my 'Picasa 3', including the image database. I verified that with "Revo Un-installer" and rebooted the machine.

There is no change in the behavior of my 'Browser'. I did definitely invoke IE9 from the 'Start Menu' and it comes up with the 'GOOGLE Chrome' mask. Fortunately for me, it does appear to be the real GOOGLE Chrome sitting on top of IE9 because my email folders are there along with all of the GOOGLE gadgets that I have selected and were there with my old XP machine. So this 'thing' sitting on top of IE9 appears to be the real thing and coming from some GOOGLE server, as it's not on my system. All of my GOOGLE email folders contain my stuff. I am really puzzled by this browser 'behavior'

I am attaching a couple of screen captures. I hope that make it through.

jse_63.jpgjse_64.jpgjse_65.jpg

Thanks
    Actually this appears to be IE 9 with Google Chrome Home Page. For example I just went to iGoogle in my IE 9 and with a simple choice of a theme got this:

iGoogleHomePage.jpg This is IE 9 displaying the iGoogle page in what I believe you are describing as a "Google Skin"

Also only showing the top of the page. To change your home page open Tools (gear in upper right corner), Internet Options, and select what page to make your home page: If you are on the iGoogle Home Page just select Use Current to load your iGoogle page into the highlighted box so it will become your Home Page.

ChangeHomePageIE9.jpg

I'm not sure why IE 9 is not listed as default browser, but go ahead and list it. Just choose Make IE 9 my default browser.

It does actually appear that IE 9 is working correctly. The top Taskbars and Toolbars are IE 9 with the iGoogle Home Page shown. If you are signed in to iGoogle you will be able to open all your Google Gadgets that are accessible from the iGoogle Home page.

Just download and install the Google Chrome browser. You will have to tell Win 7 which browser is default. Usually when you open whichever browser, if it is not default it will advise you and ask if you wish to make it the default browser.

I actually found the same Web Page skin you displayed above:

arch.jpg
    Last edited by Medico; 2011-07-29 at 21:25.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi Ted,

I've tried all that you just posted and I still cannot seperate the two browsers. GOOGLE Chrome comes up, but IE9 is sitting underneath it no matter which one I select to invoke. Please take a look at the attached screen capture. I noticed mine is different from yours in that mine has no box (option) to "Use Blank". How would I remove the option that is showing in my 'Internet Options' box?. I've tried highlighting and deleting, but it just stays there ... I wish I had the "Use Blank" option ... wonder why I don't have it?
    jse_67.jpg

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I am very excited to participate all the discussion here!

Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    Gary,

as expected, it appears that you are not running Chrome, but IE with an iGoogle skin, possibly pre-installed, or maybe installed via some piece of software. What I'm not sure about is how you are invoking it: which icon, or task bar element you are clicking. Even then, that functionality may be different to what you expect if something has adjusted the behaviour of your system.

To help diagnose that, can you try to invoke Chrome directly, without using the shortcuts or task bar elements? Go to the Start menu, in the "Search Programs and Files" box at the bottom, type "Run" (without quotes). In the pop-up box that appears, click on the Run menu item at the top. In the Run dialog box that appears, enter "Chrome.exe" without quotes and click OK. That should launch Chrome not the skinned IE, if so, we can then fix the links and shortcuts.
    Last edited by Tinto Tech; 2011-07-30 at 04:16. Reason: to clarify reason for launching Chrome directly.

Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi Tinto Tech,

Thanks for the response.

Yes, I have specifically invoked each executable seperately ... chrome.exe and iexplore.exe from the 'Start Menu' and from their individual folders, but the results remain the same. IE9 comes up with a 'chrome' mask in either case. I'm really stumped on this one. I can not figure out how these two browsers got so intrinsically meshed together.

It would not seem to be a problem at first glance, but IE9 is the controlling browser and I would prefer GOOGLE chrome up front with no interferance from IE9 ... and I can not do any add-ons (like blocking GOOGLE 'AdSense') to GOOGLE chrome. That's frustrating. I've used GOOGLE Chrome as my browser on my old XP system for a long time and now I can't get it to work the same way on my new system ... independently, with no interference from IE9 .... Arrrrgh.

Thanks
    Gary,

The screenshot in your post #7 IS IE 9, not the Google Chrome Browser. It does not have a "Chrome Skin". It is displaying a iGoogle Home Page. To change the home page, go to a different home page by typing, for example, Yahoo or MSN or any other home page you desire into the address bar. Once the other page is being displayed, click on the Use Current button to see if the page displayed in the window you display in post #9 changes to the page you are presently on.

If you indeed uninstalled the Google Chrome browser, when you type Chrome.exe in the Run box or in the Search box, nothing will happen. If you reinstalled Google Chrome browser, please uninstall it again. We have to work on one problem at a time. I believe you are mistaking the iGoogle Home Page (this is simply a page on the internet) for a "Chrome Skin".

The Internet Options window you show is an IE 9 window. The Google Chrome browser does not have this window. When you manually go to a different web page, and you click on the Use Current button, whatever web page you are presently on will become the default Home Page that opens when you click on the icon to open your browser. If you are on ESPN.com, then when you open the browser, it will automatically open to ESPN.com as the first web site it goes to (Home Page). You can set this to whatever you want.

If you check the box that says Make Internet Explorer your default browser, when you open your browser, IE 9 will open to the page you have picked to be your Home Page. At this time open your browser and type ESPN in the address bar, just ESPN, nothing else, then press enter. You should get a search page that shows many different pages. Click on the header that shows ESPN.com. This should open web page ESPN.com. Now open the Internet Options box and click the Use Current button. What Happens?

One other thing I would do is use the Browsing history section and clear ALL your browsing history and cookies. Clear eveything so that nothing else is causing us problems for now.

If IE is working properly you should no longer see the iGoogle page when you open your browser. It should now open to the ESPN page as your home page (don't worry, you can change this to anything you want later) Does it do this? If so IE is working properly.

So these steps in order are:

1) Delete browsing history and cookies (you can also open the Internet Options window even without the browser being open. Go to Control Panel. There is an Internet Options category that will open Internet Options.

2) Open the browser (IE 9 should open) Make it the default browser if it is not.

3) Change the page that opens to ESPN (remember you can change this later if you want)

4) Click the Use Current button

5) Close the browser

6) Reopen the browser

You should now have IE open with ESPN.com opened. Does this happen?
    Last edited by Medico; 2011-07-30 at 05:11.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    A bad choice of phases on my part re skin vs iGoogle.

Gary, as Ted says, I think you are mistaking IE running with an iGoogle home page for Chrome. It is, as he says, IE not Chrome. Follow his instructions and see where you get to.

I am however very surprised that you say IE launches when you enter chrome.exe in the run box, but that may be a different issue - to be addressed later.

Thanks
    It may be that if Gary changes so that IE 9 is the default browser, that chrome.exe won't do anything. I would also do a search for chrome.exe to see what folder it is in. Somehow this may have been placed in the ie folder, who knows. I also think clearing the history and cookies (all temp internet folders - TIF) will help to clear the waters so to speak. There may be some left overs in the TIF that are causing problems. Once that's done, then changing the designated Home Page should clear what Gary is calling a "Chrome Skin". In fact I would change the Home Page, then clear all TIF once again to get rid of ALL references to Chrome. Once IE is the default browser and the Home Page is changed, and everything is working as expected (Home Page designation in Internet Options is set to something other than iGoogle) then we can begin to tackle installing Chrome. I think a big part of the problem is the confusing iGoogle web page for a "Chrome Skin". This is not the case in my opinion.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast