Thanks

Script errors every 5 minutes - IE8

I've been getting IE script messages for a few days now, every since I did some "cleaning up" with SystemSuite Professional 11. At least evidence points to that being the trigger event, since they didn't appear before that point.
    I'm using Windows XP Pro SP3 and IE8
    I've tried the usual solutions offered by Microsoft - disabling prompts for ActiveX scripts, settings under the Advanced tab, etc. But all the options suggested were already set to prevent the messages I've been getting.
    I get the messages on any and all websites - including one for work that I use daily, and having to click OK before every action on that particular page is aggravating, to say the least.
    Here's a sample message:

Hopefully this is something simple I've overlooked - a little-used setting that was changed, perhaps. Just as long as I don't have to do a Windows repair install - I hate that!

Note: I noticed that this example is from a secure site - I've gotten it on Facebook as well, and I do have that set as a secure connection. Other sites where I get this, I doubt they are secure sites - but it is something I will try to keep track of in case that might be the common thread.
    Have a cookie -

Don

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,398 Times in 1,221 Posts
    I suppose you don't have a system restore point you can go back to?
    If not, you can always try to reset IE to its default settings (Tools->Internet Options menu, advanced tab, Reset button at the bottom right) and see if that helps.

Consequences like this are the reason I stay away from all such "optimizers". You can also check if that optimizer allows you to restore whatever was cleaned, as some of such apps have options to undo their "cleaning" effects.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts
    You should also clear your TIF.

Joe

Thanks
    I know, optimizers are for the weak. Just kidding, but I am a gadget guy. I bought a $16k car in 1982 because I had never seen amazing things like power windows and locks before. I'm extremely wary of registry cleaners in particular, but I had version 5 of this package for years (2003, I think) and it never gave me any trouble at all. I guess I was thinking fondly of Norton Utilities, which was helpful and stable.
    I don't usually think of restore points, so that should be an option to consider - I didn;t turn it off last time I installed XP so it should be available.
    As far as Temporary Internet Files are concerned, this thing optimized me so much that my entire TIF directory is gone. Just a Temp directory where it should be. Just to review, this is where I should see my TIF directory, right? C:\D&S\[username]\Local Settings\Temporary Internet Files
    The absence of that directory might explain lousy performance from my "optimized" browsers - IE8 and FF3 (tried FF4 and it gave me some issues, so I reverted). It takes them forever to connect to servers once they are opened - wasn't an issue before optimization.
    - - Oh, yes - I've learned my lesson. A newer version is NOT necessarily a better version. - -

It does have an Undo function - I undid changes it made in the registry to ActiveX components; I'll give it a bit of time and see what actually changes from that. If it doesn't do the trick, I'll go to System Restore. I'm always reluctant to do that - in my mind it's got the same odds as Windows Repair Install - it probably won't lose any data, but no guarantees.
    I will also minimize the changes I allow this suite to make.

Thanks, guys - I will report back when the system has had some time to test the changes.
    Have a cookie -

Don