Star Lounger
    Thanks

Word 2000 - Track Changes Question

I know this has probably been covered - but ...

I was asked by a user if it is possible for her changes to be tracked in different colours on different days.

I know that different authors can track in different colours, but was not aware you could do this on a date basis.

The word help files do not specify you can change colours by date.

I'm inclined to tell her it can't be done on a date basis, but, if it can, I'm intrigued on how to do it.

Any help would be appreciated.

Many thanks

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Re: Word 2000 - Track Changes Question

Hi,

I haven't tried this out, but you might be able to do this by changing your username and initials each day (in Tools>Options>User Information).

For instance "TrishMon", "TrishTue", "TrishWed" etc.
    (or TrishJan22, TrishJan23 etc.)
    Word would probably see these as different users and assign the colors automatically. (As far as I know, the assignment of colors is part of a built-in Word feature, which is not accessible for the user to set themselves.)

One drawback perhaps is that this would affect your username in all the other Office apps. Perhaps the settings could be changed only when you need to track changes in Word.

(New item (#9) in the "I Hate Track Changes Bible")[img]/w3timages/icons/devil.gif[/img]

Gary

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks Gary,

I really think it would be easier to just tell her that there is no easy way of doing it - it would just confuse her.

Doesn't everybody hate track changes???????

Super Moderator
    Thanks

The folks who make DeltaView and CompareRite loove track changes - it sends people in droves to buy their products![img]/w3timages/icons/laugh.gif[/img]

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

[img]/w3timages/icons/hairy.gif[/img]Track Changes is definitely a bit tricky when users begin to want to track themselves within their documents. It was optimally designed for collaboration purposes to enable tracking of edits by multiple parties.

As for color designation, by default Word assigns a color based on author name just as you guessed. However, a user can override that default and designate a color of their choice to track their additions and deletions which can both be the same color or different colors to more readily destinguish between additions and deletions. However, designating a specific color for the username changes the color for every edit within the document regardless of date, so even this is not your answer. Changing the username slightly during each new editing date would be the only answer and if the project will carry into more than a single week, the Mon, Tue, Wed... designations after the name would not give enough colors through the cycle of the document. Perhaps, though repetitive, the date could be included behind the user name, i.e. Phanks1/30; Phanks1/31; Phanks2/1...

Other than these suggestions, you mind visit further to find out for what purpose this individual feels the need to differentiate between the edits of one day versus another? If the above workarounds are going to be deemed too cumbersome since changing the user name effects every document and not just the current one and forgetting to change the date would cause erroneously recordings, perhaps saving versions of the document would be a better way to preserve their work from one revising session to another and then use Compare for redlining purposes which could be done against any one of the versions saved along the way during the editing process.

Hope this gives you additional food for thought. [img]/w3timages/icons/smile.gif[/img]

njordan

I have been asked if it is possible to 'remove' the tracked changes in a word document.

It seems the people who use the documents wish to 'clean it up', change the properties and re-release it as a new document without the 'baggage' of the previous life.

Is this possible in word 97 and if so - how is it best done ?

Nic

nehmar

To "remove" the tracked changes in a word document, you have to Accept All of the changes. Once you have Accepted All the changes, you can turn track changes off.
    Hope this helps!