3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Removing Recovery Volume/Partition from Acer Aspire One drive

I bought an 60GB SSD to replace the HDD in my Acer Aspire One 722 netbook, and then cloned it from the netbook's HDD without realizing that the Acer Recovery program is a full partition (hidden). I'd like to get rid of that Recovery partition and combine the space with the main one. The usual ways within Win 7 aren't working...

Update: Solved problem with a partition manager, EASEUS. Don't see way to delete the thread.
    Last edited by highstream; 2011-07-30 at 04:31.

Thanks
    Highstream, thank for posting your solution.

For others looking to do this, you can actually delete this partition with the Win 7 Disk Manager. Type disk Management in the search box. One you select the Recovery Partition right click and format. This space will now show as unallocated. It seems Win 7 is unable to revover space in front of the OS. To recover this space you will have to use a 3rd party tool such as the aforementioned Easeus or something like Partition Wizard (free). Or as highstream states you can simply use the 3rd party partitioning tool of your choice.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks. If I understand your first step correctly, Win 7's Disk Mgt was the most common of the "usual ways" that didn't work. Right clicking on the Recovery Partition in (Disk) Management only showed "Help" but not "Delete." The other method, using DOS Command line and Diskpart didn't work either, as it kept recycling back to the beginning when I used the 'delete volume' command. That's what led me to post, then wonder why not a third party app. Using the latter still required some thinking for those not used to this (especially at 1am) because the disk partition layout after deleting the Recovery partition was as follows:

Unallocated (18.09gb) -- Reserved for System (8.73) -- Primary (29.xx).

The solution was to enlarge the Reserved fo System partition to the left to encompass the Unallocated space, then expand the Primary to the left an equivalent amount, until the System partition showed 8.73 again.
    Last edited by highstream; 2011-07-30 at 10:14.

Thanks
    I wonder if that was something associated with Acer. I was able to delete the recovery partition using Win 7 on my Sony Vaio laptop, but was unable to recover the space with Win 7, thus I used a 3rd party app (I used Partition Wizard)
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Thanks
    Thanked 1,456 Times in 1,325 Posts
    You might find some help in this thread.
    May the Forces of good computing be with you!

RG

PowerShell & VBA Rule!

My Systems: Desktop Specs
    Laptop Specs

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks. I've got another one (SSD) coming up on my desktop. I'm contemplating whether to clone the existing C drive (XP) or to use it to switch over to Win 7, a copy of which I've had around since the $50 sale. Other than getting to know Win 7 a little better first, the prospect of Win 8 coming out within a year gives me pause.

Thanks
    No question in my book. Win 7 wins hands down. I would not think twice. Win 7, for most users, is much more secure. Secondly, although I am very interested in playing with Win 8, it seems better able to take advantage of touchscreeen, which in my case would entail a new PC. A nice possibility, but don't even know if I will like it. I will however keep an open mind to looking at it. Go ahead and install Win 7, you won't be dissapointed.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted