Star Lounger
    Thanks

Creating/converting a formula/?function from Excel to one in Word

I've created some formulae in Excel which I would like to convert for use in Word, but don't know where to start. In the attached Excel document the Yellow highlighted cells are input (once) and the blue highlighted cell is my desired output, where the number of days "D__", and the number of weeks and days should automatically change with the passing days. This is for a Word patient list where each patient has a date of birth, and the gestation which is entered in weeks and months.

I'd be grateful if someone could tell me where to start please - the list is in table format in Word, and I would like a separate formula that could be used for each patient in each row. I would like the figures to update automatically when the list is printed.

Many thanks.

I'm using Office 2000 at home, but Office 2007 at work.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    This might be possible to do with Word fields (but if so, beyond my abilities!)

But a first question: why not just keep it in Excel? - Excel if a much friendlier environment for doing these kinds of calculations. And based on the two samples, it doesn't look like you're doing anything by way of appearance/layout, that can't be done in Excel, too.

Gary

Thanks
    Hi,

I'm not sure what you are trying to accomplish. Also, the version of Word / Excel involved may make a difference. I agree that it looks like what you want to do can be done directly in Excel.

If you are trying to create a letter to a patient or a file note for a particular patient, mailmerge may be the way to do what you want. Mailmerge can be used to fill out a form or form letter from a data set for a single patient, not just for mass mailings. To clarify, you would use the Excel spreadsheet for the patient as a data source and bring in the results of the Excel formulae as mergefields.

If you are trying to create a table or list of current cases with deadlines, you probably want to stick with Excel. Note, I haven't reviewed your formulae because Excel isn't my strong suit. For date calculation formulae in Word, you may want to look at Paul Edstein (macropod)'s DateCalc.zip at http://www.gmayor.com/downloads.htm#Third_party. Word field calculations are esoteric and messy compared to Excel formulae.

Charles Kenyon
    Madison, Wisconsin
    Last edited by Charles Kenyon; 2011-07-31 at 05:46. Reason: clarification - expansion