Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    New Lounger
    Thanks

IE9 incompatability with Office 2007 Trust Centers

On Jun 8, 2011 I accepted a Microsoft "push" to upgrade to IE9 (from IE8.something). Ironically, I like the brevity of the IE9 main page.

However, the day following the Upgrade, I found my Outlook-2007 Reading Pane missing. When I tried to restore it, I got an "Outlook Not Responding" message. The Debug option yielded nothing, as did the various options on Microsoft's repair webpages. Multiple attempts to Repair Office-2007 from CD, Uninstall-then-Reinstall it, and even to revert to Outlook-97 from CD (a big mistake, I was informed later) yielded no solution. For weeks I conversed with Answers.Microsoft Outlook experts, and tried everything they suggested. Finally I discovered another thread at Answers.Microsoft that revealed that there is the compatability issue described in my Title line.

I had suspected IE9 all along, because of the timing of the problem. On about the 2nd day I had tried to Uninstall this Upgrade. At Windows Vista's (64-bit Home Prem.) attempt to re-launch after "Configuring updates", the launch failed and prompted me to do a "Startup Repair", which took me to System Retore, which reverted me back to IE9 use. Later I tried to rip out IE9 manually, deleting some obvious looking folders. IE9 was still there after re-boot. I even tried to Install IE8 from the Microsoft download website, but it refused me when it sensed I had a later version of IE.

So now I am stuck reading my e-mail on the tiny screen of a netbook (operating under XP), because I can't get IE9 off my desktop machine.

I saw a complaint on the second thread that MS was no longer supporting Vista or Office-2007 use with IE, so it was fruitless to wait for MS to solve this IE9 problem. I suspect this may be true.

Does anyone out there have a list of the files that constitute IE9, and where they might be located?

By the way, I suspected that RegistryBooster was not correcting all the faults that, doubtless, I had introduced into the Windows registry, so I bought Norton Utilities to correct them more thoroughly.

Thanks,

GB

P.S. Now I understand why the network "police" at my various DoD agencies over the years were so diligent to test-Test-TEST the heck out of any new app or version, before sanctioning it on their networks. I only wish I had such expertise at home! I'm going to share this one with a friend, a buyer in the SecDef CIO's office.

Thanks
    I run Office 2007 with IE 9 and I haven't had any problems. You can't get rid of IE 9 simply by deleting files. It's too heavily embedded in the operating system and registry to do that. In fact, deleting files and folders may prevent you from uninstalling it and you could screw up the system to a point where you have to do a clean install. The right way to get rid of IE 9 is to Control Panel>Programs and features and click on view installed updates. You should then find IE 9 in the uninstall list.

Jerry

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Dear Jerry,

As I said previously, I tried to Unistall the IE9 "Upgrade" the right way, before attempting it machete-style.

There is obviously some difference between your compter and mine. My OS is Vista 64-bit Home Premium (factory installed). I also have a limited ver. of PGP installed and was using a TrueCrypt virtual volume on this machine, when it inexplicably wiped its contents one day (just a few days before I accepted the IE9 upgrade). I uninstalled TrueCrypt during the weeks I have tried to resolve this issue.

However, I'm happy to hear that others have not had my experience. I have wasted days of my time trying to figure this out.

Thanks,

Glen

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,398 Times in 1,221 Posts
    Not sure what to say at this point. You really shouldn't try to hack uninstall IE 9 out of your system.
    One way out of your current situation could be a Vista repair install. I am not sure whether this will make IE 9 go away, but it can be possibly be the only way short if a reinstall to get rid of IE 9. However, if IE 9 is still working, you may try running Outlook without addins and see if that helps.

P.S.: As far as I could find, this problem cannot be solved by running Outlook in safe mode (without addins).
    Last edited by ruirib; 2011-07-30 at 11:45. Reason: adding the PS

Thanks
    Your experience with Truecrypt and PGP is why I don't play with encryption including Windows bitlocker. Too easy to lose data. I hope you had it backed up . As a first step, try running SFC /scannow in an elevated prompt. If it finds something, try the IE 9 uninstall again. If that doesn't work, try ruirib's suggestion of a repair install. If that doesn't work, I expect you will have to backup your data and do a clean install. You can't get rid of IE9 with a machete.

Jerry

New Lounger
    Thanks
    It appears I cannot take advantage of a Vista Install Repair. I have SP2 installed and according to the MS forum for creating a "Slipstream Vista SP2" DVD, I must have a Vista installation DVD. As I said previously, my Vista was factory installed. All I have is the HP Recovery DVDs that I was prompted to create when I took delivery. A full system recovery is an option, of course, but a big pain in the neck as well.

I don't know what is meant above by "elevated prompt". I tried running SFC /scannow from a command prompt, and got a message that only an administrator running a console session may use the sfc utility. This is another thing that bugs me about the direction Windows development has headed. How many different ways must I direct my own (and only mine) computer to accept me as its administrator? Windows should default to a model that assumes a single user/adminstrator, instead of requiring me to become a network guru just to operate a single machine.

Any more ideas?

Thanks,

Glen

Administrator
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by GBurch View Post
    It appears I cannot take advantage of a Vista Install Repair. I have SP2 installed and according to the MS forum for creating a "Slipstream Vista SP2" DVD, I must have a Vista installation DVD. As I said previously, my Vista was factory installed. All I have is the HP Recovery DVDs that I was prompted to create when I took delivery. A full system recovery is an option, of course, but a big pain in the neck as well.
    That will be a problem. If you can find a matching Vista DVD from someone, your key would work and you could get out of that situation.

I don't know what is meant above by "elevated prompt". I tried running SFC /scannow from a command prompt, and got a message that only an administrator running a console session may use the sfc utility. This is another thing that bugs me about the direction Windows development has headed. How many different ways must I direct my own (and only mine) computer to accept me as its administrator? Windows should default to a model that assumes a single user/adminstrator, instead of requiring me to become a network guru just to operate a single machine.
    That change was actually a security change, mean to ensure that any malware that "got in" wouldn't immediately have admin rights, to create havoc with your system.

To run the command prompt as administrator, just right click is icon and choose Run as administrator. Alternatively type cmd in the search box, after clicking the Windows Orb (equivalent to the Start Button in Xp) and press Ctrl+Shift+Enter.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    What is "is icon" and where is it to be found? All I could surmise is "Internet Security" for which I use Norton. Norton gives me no trouble that I'm aware of about admin privileges.

Thanks
    Ruirib meant to say "its icon" referring to the Command Prompt in Start Orb > all programs > accessories > Command Prompt. The second option he gave is quicker.

Jerry

Administrator
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jwitalka View Post
    Ruirib meant to say "its icon" referring to the Command Prompt in Start Orb > all programs > accessories > Command Prompt. The second option he gave is quicker.

Jerry
    Yep, it was a typo, sorry.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    OK, I was able to run SFC. But now the "system" will not let me open CBS.log. When I select the file's Properties, it informs me I must be an administrative user to view Security tab Properties. It lets me see them OK, and I even gave Full Control to every listed Group (System, Local Service & Administrators). But it still denies me access to CBS.log. I note that the bottom-most "Special Permissions" box (no idea what THAT means) is grayed out.

Again this frustrating Administrator thing!

Administrator
    Thanks
    OK, I was able to run SFC. But now the "system" will not let me open CBS.log. When I select the file's Properties, it informs me I must be an administrative user to view Security tab Properties. It lets me see them OK, and I even gave Full Control to every listed Group (System, Local Service & Administrators). But it still denies me access to CBS.log. I note that the bottom-most "Special Permissions" box (no idea what THAT means) is grayed out.

Again this frustrating Administrator thing!
    Try Take Ownership.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    If you work through every menu item and click enough buttons, you eventually get there. I was able to open PBS.log after setting Properties to include inheritable permissions, whatever that is.

So now I can see the results of the SFC scan - thousands and thousands of lines, meaningless to me, dated from 2011-6-30 to 2011-8-2.

I am no closer to a solution than I was on June 9, when the trouble first manifested.

Administrator
    Thanks
    If you work through every menu item and click enough buttons, you eventually get there. I was able to open PBS.log after setting Properties to include inheritable permissions, whatever that is.

So now I can see the results of the SFC scan - thousands and thousands of lines, meaningless to me, dated from 2011-6-30 to 2011-8-2.

I am no closer to a solution than I was on June 9, when the trouble first manifested.
    These situations, unfortunately, seem never to be easy to solve. Jerry had suggested that you try IE removal after the sfc run. Have you tried that?

Thanks
    See how to analyze the cbs.log file.
    Pay special attention to the cannot repair entries. You might want to search for them.
    Jerry
    Last edited by jwitalka; 2011-08-02 at 10:26.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast