3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

System Restore does not work - please help.

Win XP Pro, SP3.

I can create restore points, and they are visible, but when I attempt to restore to a previous state, the computer goes through the restore/reboot process, but ends up with a message to the effect that the computer could not be restored to a previous state, and nothing has been changed on the computer.

I have read previous posts concerning this problem, and have tried the solutions, with no success. I've attempted a restore from Safe mode, but the system hangs, and I get the message (from Task Manager) that system restore is not responding. I've removed (actually disabled) my antivirus program (Avira), and run the Norton Uninstaller (just to be sure, although I have no Norton Programs on my computer). I've verified that all the required services are running. Nothing seems to help.

I welcome any suggestions. Also, what is the name of the actual executable file that runs the system restore function? Perhaps this file is corrupted, and I might be able to replace it (?).

Thanks for any help you can provide.

2. Subscribe to our Windows Secrets Newsletter - It's Free!

Get our unique weekly Newsletter with tips and techniques, how to's and critical updates on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows XP, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google, etc. Join our 480,000 subscribers!

Excel 2013: The Missing Manual

+ Get this BONUS — free!

Get the most of Excel! Learn about new features, basics of creating a new spreadsheet and using the infamous Ribbon in the first chapter of Excel 2013: The Missing Manual - Subscribe and download Chapter 1 for free!

Thanks
    Hi Les, system restore is as dependable as playing 'Russian Roulette' with a revolver. Have a look in lounge's 'Security & Backups' section for suggestions.
    George's PC Specs. / Laptop. Desktop.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks, Roderunner, I will do that.

Thanks
    Les,
    if you need more advice after reading it, start a new thread.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Roderunner, I browsed through that section of the lounge, but it didn't seem to address this particular problem. I'm not looking for a way to backup my system (I have that), I just want to get the system restore function operating as it should.
    Out of curiosity, why would you suggest that I start a new thread? This thread addresses my issue specifically - I wouldn't know how to make it any clearer in a new thread.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,098 Times in 1,010 Posts
    LesF,

This old article by Charlie White explains a recovery process for crashed windows XP systems, that is, effectively a manual process for achieving a system restore. It is not complex, but requeries several steps to be performed. I have used it, back when XP was my system and I have had other people resorting to it with success. You may try it yourself. The procedure described includes a backup of your current system status right at the beginning, but you may want to resort to imaging, if you want to have an additional layer of protection.

HTH

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by LesF View Post
    Roderunner, I browsed through that section of the lounge, but it didn't seem to address this particular problem. I'm not looking for a way to backup my system (I have that), I just want to get the system restore function operating as it should.
    Out of curiosity, why would you suggest that I start a new thread? This thread addresses my issue specifically - I wouldn't know how to make it any clearer in a new thread.
    Les,
    I was thinking you were looking for an alternate method. System Restore has never worked for me, neither does Macrium Reflect. The one I trust is Acronis. But thats just my settings, other members get different results.

Thanks
    I see where you said; I've verified that all the required services are running.
    I have to ask if you checked the Task Scheduler service?System Restore will not create any restore points.
    To start it up,click Start | Run & type in services.msc & then click on OK.Scroll down to "Task Scheduler" in the left column (Name).If the service status isn't "Started",right click & select Start.Also be sure the Startup Type is set to "Automatic".
    Another problem that can mess up System Restore is low disk sapce.The srvice needs at least 1 to 2 GB free on the Partition where Windows is installed in order to make restore points.If it doesn't have that,free up some space (delete or move files).
    If the above doesn't work for you (or) if you have already tried the above.Here's M$ link that might help;http://support.microsoft.com/kb/302796
    Problems cannot be solved by the same level of thinking that created them. -Albert Einsten

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    chowur, I have verified that the services (including Task Scheduler) are started and set to Automatic. Also, I have 444 GB of free space on a 500 GB hard drive, so that is clearly not the problem. I have also looked at the link you provided, and have done the recommended steps, to no avail. I appreciate your reply.

ruirib, please see my reply to Roderunner (above). To be clear, my system has not crashed, and I have no need for a recovery method. I have a full system image, should I need to perform a recovery, and I have also backed up my registry with ERUNT. This thread was started simply to get help in fixing XP's System Restore program, absent any other problems that I'm aware of. But I thank you for responding.

Thanks
    Les, as Roderunner's already said, System Restore on XP is simply not trustworthy, it either works or it doesn't.

I think you are wasting your time trying to get it working, even if you succeeded, there's no guarantee that it would work correctly or at all, when it was really needed.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,098 Times in 1,010 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by LesF View Post
    ruirib, please see my reply to Roderunner (above). To be clear, my system has not crashed, and I have no need for a recovery method. I have a full system image, should I need to perform a recovery, and I have also backed up my registry with ERUNT. This thread was started simply to get help in fixing XP's System Restore program, absent any other problems that I'm aware of. But I thank you for responding.
    I didn't think your system crashed. The point of posting the link was to provide access to a detailed explanation of how you could perform a manual system restore, in case you may ever needed it, because is, effectively, what the article describes. It does so with crashed systems being the motivation, but that doesn't mean that you can do it only when that happens. You could follow the explained procedure whenever you feel it would be of value or need.

Thanks
    Malware can prevent System Restore from working. Do a full scan with your AV program and download and run MalwareBytes.

Jerry