Star Lounger
    Thanks

WIN 7 Upgrade Reinstallation

I have a question regarding the WIN 7 upgrade installation process as recommended by Mr. Langa in his recent article. Everything appears normal during the "repair upgrade" until the first reboot. Leaving everything alone the computer boots from the DVD and starts repeating some of the items (finding stuff & expanding files) already accomplished prior to the reboot. Additionally, the display looks odd--no doubt basic video drivers. Should the DVD be removed at some specific time during the re-installation process? Every time the system reboots it will do so from the disk if it's left in. Maybe that's the way it's supposed to work. Additionally, during the initial setup, 3 programs were found that "might not work" after the re-installation is complete with a recommendation to remove them before proceeding. Would it work just as well to reinstall them later if they don't work? Thanks.

Casey H.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,057 Times in 926 Posts
    Normally, you must press a key to boot from CD or DVD. I've not had a problem leaving the DVD in the drive but you should be able to remove it too. If it is still needed you find out quickly enough.

You could try the programs later. But I'd recommend you try to get versions of the programs which are compatible with Windows 7.

Joe

Thanks
    Should the DVD be removed at some specific time during the re-installation process? Every time the system reboots it will do so from the disk if it's left in. Maybe that's the way it's supposed to work.
    ...Depends on your MB/BIOS settings, usually I'll have to remove the DVD.
    I've seen it boot again from the DVD & then cycle back into a Windows pre install mode on some systems.