New Lounger
    Thanks

Trouble installing 931125 Windows XP root-certificates update

Many thanks to Susan Bradley, whose columns are so useful! Following her most recent column suggestions, I downloaded the above update, saved the rootsupd.exe to my desktop, clicked to open and clicked 'run'. Then, I waited.. and waited ... but nothing else happened. To see if it had installed, I looked at Add/Remove programs in Control Panel. Nope. Also checked the Windows directory, but it's not in the 'uninstall' list. Has anyone else had problems with this download? Am I missing something very obvious?
    Thanks in advance for any help/advice.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,456 Times in 1,325 Posts
    Editor1,

Welcome to the lounge.

What version of Windows are you running? As the KB says this program is only for XP.
    Root Update Package (intended for Windows XP only)
    Just a thought, again Welcome!
    May the Forces of good computing be with you!

RG

PowerShell & VBA Rule!

My Systems: Desktop Specs
    Laptop Specs

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Oops, sorry, thought I had provided the information. I am running XP SP3. I normally don't have problems with downloads ... when Woody and Susan give the all clear, I go the Microsoft update site and choose the ones I want rather than having them downloaded and installed automatically.
    And, thank you for the welcome!

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I usually do as you have done, downloading the rootsupd file, then double-clicking it. Like you, nothing much seems to happen. The install does not appear in Add/Remove Programs (the KB says it cannot be removed), and nothing seems to have changed. But if I re-run Microsoft Update, the root update is no longer offered. Note also that the file has the same name and KB number every month it is offered. I suspect that each 'update' actually contains all of the extant root certificates, and thus is really a re-install rather than an update.

Chris

New Lounger
    Thanks
    That makes sense. Many thanks for the explanation. Cheers