Thanks

Downloading Office 2010 from the Microsoft Store

I will purchase and download Office 2010 from the Microsoft Store.

My question is: Can I save the download to a CD, or to an external drive?

Help will be appreciated.

Regards,

Flores

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,398 Times in 1,221 Posts
    Hi Flores,

If the download is an ISO file, you can easily burn it to a CD, Being a file, you can also stored permanently in an external drive. My guess is that it will most likely be an ISO file. If it won't be an ISO file, then it's possible that it will be an executable, that will extract all the relevant files, once started, so it can also be stored elsewhere.

I am not sure if it will have a download manager. Some Microsoft stuff has it and some other doesn't. If you get a download manager, you can wait for it to download and just save a copy of the download before the installation starts. It will only start with your agreement.

Abraços

Rui

P.S.: Directly from Microsoft I only bought an Office language pack and it was a single executable file with a few hundred MB.
    Last edited by ruirib; 2011-07-31 at 17:26.

Thanks
    Unless the Microsoft store works differently than other outlets, I think you can download Office 2010 as many times as you like. What is in limited supply and you definitely need to preserve in case you need to reinstall is your license code.

Thanks
    When you get the aforementioned license code, paste it into Notepad and save the txt file on your PC, and perhaps on a flash drive. As Jeff states this is important. You should be able to download the file (it will be rather large) to your PC (I would suggest the Downloads folder so it's easy to find) the you should be able to burn it to a DVD or copy it to a flash drive or other ext. HD. Even if it is not an iso file you should be able to burn the exe to a DVD or CD (if it will fit) then simply click on the exe file to start the installation.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

Thanks
    If the download is an ISO file, you can easily burn it to a CD, Being a file, you can also stored permanently in an external drive.
    P.S.: Directly from Microsoft I only bought an Office language pack and it was a single executable file with a few hundred MB.
    Hello Rui,

Nice to here from you!

Below is the reason for my question: An e-mail from the Microsoft Store.

"Em resposta ao seu email, os produtos através de download não ficam disponíveis para gravar em dispositivos moveis. Os produtos adquiridos através de download somente podem ser instalados pelo link original. "

Besides, we have a second home, where we spend almost half of our time. We are retired. There, we cannot rely on the Internet due to its slow connections. I have to rely on a CD or my external drive, in case of need.

Now, is too late also, because I have ordered Office in CD!

Thanks again for your help.

Abraços,
    Flores

Thanks
    ...... I think you can download Office 2010 as many times as you like.
    Hello jscher2000,

Thanks.
    Please take a look at what I wrote to Rui, below, about poor Internet connections, where I spend great part of my time.
    There, I can only rely on saved files to my drives.

Regards,
    Flores

Thanks
    Hello Ted,

It is nice to hear from you again.
    You are correct, but as I wrote to Rui, now it is too late as I have ordered Office 2010 in CD. The license code will come in the package.

Thanks,
    Flores

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,398 Times in 1,221 Posts
    Hi Flores,

I don't actually know what they use now for Microsoft store downloads. In my only interaction, an executable was downloaded, as I said before. I have also downloaded software from Microsoft (from MSDNAA) where a download manager is used and in that case, you can stop the process after the download and copy the file that was downloaded (an ISO, usually) to a different place, for safekeeping, or burn it to a CD or DVD. This process usually started with a link too.

So, although I cannot guarantee it fully, all of the ways I have seen in use to buy software in digital form (not only from Microsoft), allow you to get what you download and put it away for safekeeping, either in a "direct way" or by stopping the process before proceeding with the installation and copying the downloaded files.
    I guess it doesn't matter much now, since you have ordered the CD too.

Abraços

Rui

Thanks
    I guess it doesn't matter much now, since you have ordered the CD too.
    Hello Rui,

Next I will try to have a little more patience, hoping also that M$ is less laconic on its e-mails.

Thanks again, Rui.

Abraços,
    Flores