I am using Windows Media Player under Windows 7 Professional to burn an MP3 file in Audio format to a CD-R cd. I am unable to get it to work and furthermore, I am unable to determine the problem. Here is what I do.
1) Start Windows Media Player.
2) Click on the Burn tab in WMP.
3) Select Audio CD from the drop-down on the Burn tab
4) Locate the MP3 file on my C drive and drag it to the Burn List area in WMP.
5) Click on Start Burn
6) When the message is displayed to insert a CD, I do so.
a) The CD player/burner clicks repeatedly about every 10 seconds or so.
b) No messages of any kind appear, i.e. no message indicating an error or problem of any kind. No message of successful completion or even progress.
c) There is what appears to be a a progress bar on the Burn tab but after I click on Start Burn, this bar never shows any progress. None at all.
d) The same result occurs if I put the CD in the drive before clicking on Start Burn.
1) Windows 7 Professional, 64-bit, 4 Gb RAM.
2) Don't know the version of WMP, can't find an "About" tab for that application anywhere.
3) I have not attempted to burn to this drive using any other applications.
4) This drive is also the CD/DVD player and I have successfully played CDs and DVDs multiple times.
5) Using Device Manager I verified that the drivers for the CD drive are current.
6) There are no error messages of any kind anywhere that I can see or find, yet the burn does not work.
7) When I attempt to right-click to choose properties for the drive, it does its repeated clicking for several minutes then stops. Properties never comes up.
8) It looks like a hardware problem with the drive to me, but using Troubleshooting under Control Panel results in no errors.
9) Unless error messages are being written to some hidden file or log, I have absolutely no error messages at all, not even time-out messages.
Anyone know what the problem might be or where I can look?