New Lounger
    Thanks

MSE disappears after BlueFlare Antivirus infection

Today I survived a Blue Flare Antivirus attack. MSE showed one malware item removed but Blue Flare continued its attack. I tried to use Task Manager to get rid of it, but that didn't work at all so I ran a Malwarebytes scan. It identified about 18 items that were then fixed (mainly Trojans). But then I discovered that when I tried to open MSE it would open for an instant and immediately disappear! I reinstalled MSE but the problem was not corrected. The computer seems to be functioning fine-- no slowdown or any other signs of malware. Any ideas how to get MSE to display?

Thanks
    Do you perhaps have a recent image from before the virus attack. This would solve your problem in about 10 minutes.

You do not say what OS you are using. Did you attempt a reboot to see if MSE will start? See if this article from Ghacks.net may help.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

Gold Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ssspitz View Post
    Today I survived a Blue Flare Antivirus attack. MSE showed one malware item removed but Blue Flare continued its attack. I discovered that when I tried to open MSE it would open for an instant and immediately disappear! I reinstalled MSE but the problem was not corrected. The computer seems to be functioning fine-- no slowdown or any other signs of malware. Any ideas how to get MSE to display?
    ssspitz,
    Hello.... after a brief search i found this Blue Flare Removal Don't know if it will work as there is not too much (as of yet) about this fake program... Have a look see Regards Fred
    PlainFred

None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free (J. W. Von Goethe)

Thanks

Cool

ssspitz

By chance, has it occurred to you yet that maybe MSE isn't a very good program, if it allowed you to get infected in the first place?

It occurred to me, just reading your post.

So why not dump that turkey and get an Anti-Virus program that will do what it's supposed to do.......Protect you from infection.

I've been using AVG 2011 FREE and I share it with all my customers and we all stay virus free.
    Running Malwarebytes Pro is a great backup to AVG and the Pro version will run in real time right along with AVG providing a double layer of protection against all forms of malware.

Go with what works, not with what Doesn't work. (you've already found what Doesn't work. Eh? )

Cheers mate!
    The Doctor
    Last edited by DrWho; 2011-07-31 at 21:24.
    Experience is truly the best teacher.

Backup! Backup! Backup! GHOST Rocks!

Thanks
    This actually sounds like and looks like one of the drive by pop ups scareware apps that requires a user action to initiate. I doubt any AV app will stop something an user starts with their actions. Similar to Security Alert and many others, it only starts if a user clicks a button. In these cases using Task Manager to shut then down is the best action as I have heard of some that initiate their action when the red X is pressed.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks, people! It turned out that I was lucky, VERY lucky, and had an image backup that had been completed an hour or so before the Blue Flare hit! First I tried to do a restore and was informed that the machine couldn't find the backup file. Then my granddaughter suggested I try opening (Windows7) in Safe Mode. In Safe I was able to get the machine to try to restore from the image-- and it worked! Everything appears to be working fine.
    Again, thanks for your advice.

Thanks
    Images are "the bomb" They have saved me more than I care to admit. Glad your problem is solved.

For most 3rd party apps you don't even have to boot into Windows to start the restore, you simply insert the apps boot media, boot to it, attach the device holding the Image and start the restore. I use Acronis like this. I believe Macrium Reflect also does this. I wonder if you created a Rescue Disk for Win 7 Backup abd Restore (I assume this is the app you used to create your Image), popped the Rescue Disk in and did the same with Win 7 Backup and Restore. I realize Win 7 Backup and Restore is not as full featured as the 3rd party apps, but I would think this should work similarly to the 3rd party apps.
    Last edited by Medico; 2011-08-02 at 16:05.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted