Lounger
    Thanks

Slip-streaming SP-1 into a Win 7 Install disk

In another thread discussing “Win7′s no-reformat, nondestructive reinstall” (see
    http://windowssecrets.com/forums/sho...ive-reinstall.), I commented that the "song and dance" aspects of performing the re-install when one has SP-1 already installed could be over come by “slip-streaming SP-1 into my original Windows 7 using 'Rt Se7en lite', and that this effectively makes the install disk an SP-1 version. “

I was asked to start a separate thread describing this slip-streaming process and that is the purpose of this thread.

The entire process can be found at the following link:
    “How To Slipstream Windows 7 SP1 Into Installation DVD ISO”
    http://www.intowindows.com/how-to-sl...ation-dvd-iso/

Additionally, I recommend that, if you have IE9 installed, you also slip-stream the IE9 install files into the Install disk. This process can be found at the following link:
    “How To Slipstream Internet Explorer 9 (IE9) Into Windows 7 ISO”
    http://www.intowindows.com/how-to-sl...windows-7-iso/

Finally, other posts on the Web say that Windows 7 install DVD’s actually contain all version of the OS and that any disk (OEM or Retail) can be made into a “universal installation disk” (similar to the Vista install disks), which can be used to install ANY Windows 7 version. Of course to do this, one must posses the appropriate install key/COA.

This process can be found at the following link”
    “Windows 7 Universal Installation Disc – Create” –
    http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials...sc-create.html

While all of this may appear daunting at first glance, it really is more an exercise in perseverance than anything else. It has worked for me with no difficulties.

But please remember that all three of the modifications described above are not required to overcome the difficulties described in the thread “Win7′s no-reformat, nondestructive reinstall”, but rather only those steps in the first link need be followed.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to al taylor For This Useful Post:

CLiNT (2011-08-14),Medico (2011-07-31)

Thanks
    For those starting Win 7 from scratch, or wishing to have a DVD to load Win 7 from scratch with SP1 and IE 9 already included this is very nice. Many wish to have an updated installation DVD without having to depend on MS to supply it, and at what cost.

For my purposes, having an up to date Image works even better because the Image will include all customizations I have made, and all apps I have installed including all data at the time the Image was created. This allows a restoration in less than 10 minutes. This serves me very well, and has indeed been used numerous times when I "play" with my OS.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Ted Myers View Post
    For those starting Win 7 from scratch, or wishing to have a DVD to load Win 7 from scratch with SP1 and IE 9 already included this is very nice. Many wish to have an updated installation DVD without having to depend on MS to supply it, and at what cost.

For my purposes, having an up to date Image works even better because the Image will include all customizations I have made, and all apps I have installed including all data at the time the Image was created. This allows a restoration in less than 10 minutes. This serves me very well, and has indeed been used numerous times when I "play" with my OS.
    Ted,

I wholeheartedly agree with what you have said and I do the same, always keeping at least two images made at no longer than two week intervals.

Still, I also have a created a slip-streamed install disk that I find very handy.

Only once have I tried the "no-reformat, nondestructive reinstall" process, and for me it created more issues than it resolved.

Thanks
    I agree. Unfortunately every fix does not work for everyone. That's why some updates work well and install well for me, but don't work for the next person. MS, and indeed any vendor, tries to make their S/W work well for the masses, but they can't test it with every combination of hardware and software so there will be instances where it does not work as planned.

When I get the time, I believe I will also be creating a slip streamed Win 7 installation just in case. Thanks for the thread.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Thanks
    I won't get to try this until I do a fresh install, but this looks awfully promising:

http://www.mydigitallife.info/offici...digital-river/
    Rob G

"Sacred cows make the best hamburger." - Mark Twain

-----------------------------------------------------------------
    HP G72-227wm - Windows 7 Professional x64 (SP1)

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I'm a little confused by above link, does it mean if you have a legal copy of Win 7
    you can download ISO and have it available for free or do you have to pay for it?
    I did not try and download so not sure if they ask for money or not, just thought
    I would ask.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,057 Times in 926 Posts
    You can download the ISO and use it. You need your original key to determine to which SKU you are entitled and to activate Windows.

Joe

Thanks
    I've been meaning to do a slipstreamed copy, especially with this new Revo PCIe drive needing specialty drivers upon clean install.

Thanks
    Several threads are now showing the download site to download WIn 7 with SP1 already slipstreamed directly from Digital River. This might be less time consuming than actually performing the slipstream operations.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Thanks
    Three times I tried to slipstream SP1; three times the laptop locked up. That was enough for me.

Highly recommend using a download manager rather than your browser for these. (I use DownThemAll with FF5.) I used the browser the first time, and a 3 gig file came in at about 2.5 gig. It takes long enough to download these without having to do it twice.

What I am wondering is if I get the 7 Pro Anytime Upgrade after installing SP1, do I have to install SP1 again? Or is SP1 included by now?
    Rob G

"Sacred cows make the best hamburger." - Mark Twain

-----------------------------------------------------------------
    HP G72-227wm - Windows 7 Professional x64 (SP1)