4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Windows Explorer has stopped working

This is a common message, and it sometimes comes in waves when a new program or update hits a lot of users at once. Is anyone else having trouble at the moment with it?

2. Subscribe to our Windows Secrets Newsletter - It's Free!

Get our unique weekly Newsletter with tips and techniques, how to's and critical updates on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows XP, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google, etc. Join our 480,000 subscribers!

Excel 2013: The Missing Manual

+ Get this BONUS — free!

Get the most of Excel! Learn about new features, basics of creating a new spreadsheet and using the infamous Ribbon in the first chapter of Excel 2013: The Missing Manual - Subscribe and download Chapter 1 for free!

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I usually see this is either the CPU is overworked (99% usage) or the disk is being overworked (lots of reads/writes, with the anti-virus making a bad situation even worse.) My solution is to just wait it out. But if it happens very often, you might consider cleaning out the inside of your PC. I had a laptop that suffered from chronic "stopped working" messages, and I noticed that the fan was running quite often. I opened it to find that so much dust had accumulated on the cooling fins that it appeared as if a piece of felt was attached! Removing the "felt" and blowing out the insides with a can of compressed air worked wonders. I do the same to my desktop about every 2-3 months.

If you are not sure about how to use compressed air to clean you PC, google "clean pc with compressed air" - you'll get lots of helpful hints.

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    This is far more narrowly defined than that. (The good news is that I have a valid incremental backup from 11 PM last night on one machine, and I will have recent enough restore points to take me back a modest distance.) This has hit me on two computers within a matter of hours, and I am trying to recall what I changed today that was common to both. The prime suspect is the CNET version of RoboForm, but even that turns out to be different between computers (because one is the cloud version and the other the master).

Almost all of the major software on the two computers is the same (Windows 7 Ultimate x64, Office Pro x32 with Visio and Project, and Adobe CS4), but one is a desktop and the other a laptop, with many differences at that level. Yet both have been hit. This is one time that malware is a distinct possibility, but I have to be careful in how I proceed.

With only one general response, it looks like it`s my problem and not an epidemic with a common source, but that is a notorious error message. I hope to post back with a proper diagnosis sometime soon.

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    It now looks like it was Google Toolbar (which may have been the wrong version in both cases). I did indeed add it to both computers, and cannot get rid of it with Revo Pro (but haven't tried the simpler routes). On top of that, the Fixit man from Windows (or whatever he is) had me undo a lot of programs that start at boot, and I removed more of them with the latest version of jv16 (which I discovered and downloaded after the fact of the trouble). That there were too many is not in dispute; the impediment is that I have no idea which of them to get rid of. I see, for example, that I have killed my ability to use wireless with this computer by killing some boot program or other, so a Restore Point it will be for curing the problem here. (If I sound grouchy, I am.)

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I am happy if exhausted to report that my restore points did the trick, whatever the source of the problem really was. As luck would have it I actually had a restore point (for a Windows update) somewhere between 2 AM and 3 AM on the day of the problem on one computer, and another at 10:30 PM (probably for the same update) the preceding night on the other computer. If you're going to have a crash, you might as well have it when you have recent restore points that you can use.

Edited to add (while kicking myself) that the problem appears to be that I installed the 32-bit Google Toolbar on two 64-bit computers. It's a relief to know (or think) it wasn't malware, but it was a time-consuming job to fix it.

It would be helpful if sources either made the choice automatically for you, as many do, or made it clear what it is designed to run on. After all, 32-bit Office runs on 64-bit Windows.
    Last edited by dogberry; 2011-08-01 at 02:59.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,098 Times in 1,010 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dogberry View Post
    It would be helpful if sources either made the choice automatically for you, as many do, or made it clear what it is designed to run on. After all, 32-bit Office runs on 64-bit Windows.
    I think all of the Microsoft software updates, patches, everything, check if you qualify for it. You won't be able to install an update for Office x64 if you are running Office x86, for example.

As for Google's software, I think it is a class act mess. I could start with each different piece of software adding a schedule task for Google's updater, so if you add several google apps (toolbars, earth, etc), you will end up with multiple updaters. The toolbar itself, although very useful, it surely is not a case study in reliability.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi dogberry,

1. For those of you who received (Not Responding) on your Windows Explorer a few seconds right after reboot I would like to share my past finding on an obviously a major bug in the lastest patch from Microsoft for Windows Vista.
    Well, if you have the same problem, here is what you can do ...
    1. boot system
    2. right click task bar as soon as system gets up and select Property
    3. On the Notification Area tab, unclick the "Clock"
    4. hit Ok and see if you can log off to save the changes
    5. when you get the system back up rename the timedate.cpl in
    %Windows root%\System32 folder to timedate-cpl.bad

Also, Download Windows Explorer Repair Tool and fix your Windows Explorer problem in few minutes. For more information regarding this, click here: http://www.windowsexplorerhasstoppedworking.com/

Good luck!