Thanks

Question Upgrading to Windows 7 from Windows Vista with retail disc

Good day, everyone. I pre-ordered my copy of Windows 7 Home Premium to save some money. Little did I know that it would be just now that the government agency I work for will allow me to install it on my home computer. (Long story.) Since this probably a stale topic and things have changed over time, I thought I would start a new thread on the best way to do the upgrade (after a full system backup, of course.)

Thanks,

Jim

P.S. Can I get rid of all those folders with the gibberish names like "[abccd....."

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,398 Times in 1,221 Posts
    Hi Jim,

Welcome to the Lounge.

Here is a link describing a possible upgrade procedure: http://www.intowindows.com/how-to-do...ows-7-upgrade/

An upgrade install will keep all your programs and it's the easiest way to get yourself working in Windows 7. Some people recommend clean installs, however. A clean install is the best way to ensure the best possible performance out of your new system. It requires you to reinstall all your programs though, as your documents and settings can be transferred through the Windows Migration tool.

Just thought I would write that, because when I upgraded my laptop I went through the upgrade route too, but it's always good to have all the info.

Regards

Rui

Thanks
    Thank you, Rui. My wife is going out of town later this month for a couple of weeks. I could probably do a clean install then with the extra time I'll have. If she leaves a bunch of errands for me, I'll do an upgrade.

Do you have any suggestions on my other question, the folder that have gibberish names and usually start with a [ ?

Thanks again,

Jim

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,398 Times in 1,221 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SoonerJim View Post
    Do you have any suggestions on my other question, the folder that have gibberish names and usually start with a [ ?
    Jim
    Sorry, Jim, missed that one.

My guess is that those folders are leftovers of updates and software installations. You can have a look inside and most likely they will have nothing. If so, just go ahead and delete them.

Thanks
    Great, thank you again!