Thanks

FF Apps missing or slow to load

I didn't see a good place to ask this, so here it sits.

When I bring up my home page in FF, with iGoogle on it, some apps like Date and Time, and the Hamsters are very slow to load. They'll usually show up eventually, if I just wait patiently.
    But, like one vulture said to the other, "Patience hell, I want to kill something!".

Any ideas?

I tried pulling up the same page on I.E.8 but it too was slow on those apps, but it finally displayed everything.

Doc
    Experience is truly the best teacher.

Backup! Backup! Backup! GHOST Rocks!

2. Get our unique weekly Newsletter with tips and techniques, how to's and critical updates on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows XP, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google, etc. Join our 480,000 subscribers!

Excel 2013: The Missing Manual

+ Get this BONUS — free!

Get the most of Excel! Learn about new features, basics of creating a new spreadsheet and using the infamous Ribbon in the first chapter of Excel 2013: The Missing Manual - Subscribe and download Chapter 1 for free!

Thanks
    Good Dr.

I use iGoogle as my home page and FF 5.0.1 as my main browser and I don't seem to have any slow loading problems. Now I don't use the two apps you mentioned but IF it's being driven by hamsters...well?
    May the Forces of good computing be with you!

RG

VBA Rules!

My Systems: Desktop Specs
    Laptop Specs

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by DrWho View Post
    I didn't see a good place to ask this, so here it sits.

When I bring up my home page in FF, with iGoogle on it, some apps like Date and Time, and the Hamsters are very slow to load. They'll usually show up eventually, if I just wait patiently.
    But, like one vulture said to the other, "Patience hell, I want to kill something!".

Any ideas?

I tried pulling up the same page on I.E.8 but it too was slow on those apps, but it finally displayed everything.

Doc
    Hi Doc, this might sound far fetched but if you have 2 Email accounts, copy the link to your home page and mail it to your other address. When using the link from your mail program, click it when your browser is closed.
    When I tried it, the scroll bar was missing, but is always shown when opening FF from the desktop shortcut.
    George's PC Specs. / Laptop. Desktop.

Thanks
    Bless yous guys for your quick attention to my little problem. I know it wasn't much, but it sure had me bugged.

But like what I've done for a living for many years, I FIXED IT!

The Pro version of AVG that I use, has many different little apps that it runs. Several more than the FREE version.
    After shutting down Malwarebytes, IDM and my UPS Monitor program, to no avail, I went
    back to AVG and started dropping off apps. When I disabled the "Identity Protection" app,
    my iGoogle page refreshed with all apps within a second. VOILA! I found it! Even the hamsters were excited about it.

It must have been something in a recent AVG update, because I've been running that program now for quite a long time with no problems.

I have the same version of FF on a 12 year old Compaq laptop, running XP-Pro-SP3 (albeit Slowly, with only 192megs of ram) with NO AV software at all and my iGoogle page loads normally, so I theorized that it must be something to do with AVG. Yup, that turned out to be it.

I guess I need to go to AVG's forum and see if anyone else is having the same problem.

Thanks again guys!

The Doctor
    Experience is truly the best teacher.

Backup! Backup! Backup! GHOST Rocks!

Thanks
    One more reason I tend to use the minimal set of security apps. One dynamic anti-virus (MSE), Windows and Router firewalls, and paid version of Malwarebytes. I've read of too many cases of Firewalls and aggressive anti-virus apps causing slowdowns and hangs.

Jerry