New Lounger
    Thanks

Angry Win 7 - CD/DVD Drive Can't "See" Blank Disk

Can't write to a blank CD or DVD as the drive doesn't see the blank disk. The drive is seen, but not the disk. No matter which program I use the problem's still there. Very frustrating. I've swapped out the drive in case that was the problem, but that doesn't cure the problem. What else can I try?

2. Get our unique weekly Newsletter with tips and techniques, how to's and critical updates on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows XP, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google, etc. Join our 480,000 subscribers!

Excel 2013: The Missing Manual

+ Get this BONUS — free!

Get the most of Excel! Learn about new features, basics of creating a new spreadsheet and using the infamous Ribbon in the first chapter of Excel 2013: The Missing Manual - Subscribe and download Chapter 1 for free!

Thanks
    I wonder if the disk has been formatted. Try to right click on the link (shortcut) to the CD/DVD Drive and select format.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Medico For This Useful Post:

CynTexas (2014-02-16)

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I've tried that and all I get is a message that says: There's no disk in the drive. I can then take the same blank disk and use it in my laptop with no problem.

Thanks
    FF,

Go to device manager, Delete the CD/DVD drive, Reboot Windows.
    I had this same problem after installing Win 7 SP-1 the above procedure fixed it.
    Last edited by RetiredGeek; 2011-08-02 at 16:33.
    May the Forces of good computing be with you!

RG

VBA Rules!

My Systems: Desktop Specs
    Laptop Specs

Thanks
    It might even be the drivers for the CD/DVD drive. You should be able to find the correct, up to date drivers at the manufacturer's site. Device Manager should show the manufacturer's name and model number.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

New Lounger
    Thanks
    My drivers and firmware are up to date. I just did a check to confirm that. I also deleted the drive and rebooted. Still have the problem.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I pulled the drive, a Liteon DH16A1S, and replaced it with an LGGH22LS50 and it works! I did this before and it didn't solve the problem. This time it did, for now.
    Thanks for your efforts on my behalf.

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    The following post is irrelevant, because I overlooked the reference in the OP that you can see the drive. I have not deleted it, however, in case it is of benefit to Loungers to whom it might be a useful tip.

When you can't see a drive that you know is present, it may not have been assigned a drive letter, even if it normally has one. Did the drive itself, disk or no disk, have its usual drive letter?

There is a variety of possible causes, but the missing drive letter cure is the same for all. Right-click on Computer, then select Manage, and then select Disk Management. That should show all drives present, but if any are visible but lack a drive letter, then go the extra step and right-click on the drive and select Change Drive Letter and Paths. You can take your choice of available letters, but there is always a default offered and it helps to take that to be sure you don't pick a letter that is already taken. (You might like to go through that routine without making the final selection, to help remember it in future.)
    Last edited by dogberry; 2011-08-03 at 02:02.

Thanks
    formerfarmer, thanks for posting back. Generally if drivers are up to date and a CD/DVD drive can't see a formated disk then hardware is a likely susoect. Glad you solved your problem.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Two years late, but since I just had the exactly same problem and found this thread through Google, I thought I'd post my solution.

First I worked my way through this thread in the Windows 7 forum, which has a bunch of solutions to offer. None worked.

But then someone noticed that in the Properties window for the DVD drive the Recording tab was missing - and that was my problem. I'm not sure what the cause was, though I'd bet on a Windows glitch, but the recording option for the drive was simply gone. I found the solution to this here.

I went with the 2nd option first, because it doesn't mess around with the registry, but that didn't help. Going with option 1 though, did. The Recording tab is back, and my drive can read empty disks again.

I hope this helps if more people still stumble over this problem.