5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Privacy smackdown: Facebook versus Google+

TOP STORY

Privacy smackdown: Facebook versus Google+

By Woody Leonhard

With Google+ rocketing to millions of users in record time, many people wonder whether the claims are true: is Google+ really that much better at defending your privacy than Facebook?

Facebook's rocky history with fluctuating privacy settings and a memorable, scummy, mud-slinging attempt to smear Google make it easy to jump to conclusions, warranted or not. Here's what you need to know.

The full text of this column is posted at WindowsSecrets.com/top-story/privacy-smackdown:-facebook-versus-google+/ (opens in a new window/tab).

Columnists typically cannot reply to comments here, but do incorporate the best tips into future columns.
    Last edited by Tracey Capen; 2011-08-03 at 16:59.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    While I agree with what you say and find the information useful, one point bothers me. I consider it a good thing that Google shows ads that I am interested in.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by pattonsteuber View Post
    While I agree with what you say and find the information useful, one point bothers me. I consider it a good thing that Google shows ads that I am interested in.
    First, welcome to The Lounge! It is always a pleasure to gain new members here. Your opinions are always respected.

I think the point was not whether or not the ads are useful and of interest. The point is that personal information is being collected and used to select the ads. Targeting may not be a problem for some users, but others prefer to be asked before our personal information is used or retained in any way by a web service. Each and every time.
    -- Bob Primak --

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Interesting article, thanks! I love the graphic. The only thing I'd like to point out is that "Facebook’s analogous feature is Facebook Groups" is not true. It would be friends lists:

Friend lists are a way to organize your friends on Facebook and create custom privacy settings. You can also use them to filter the stories you see in News Feed.

To create and edit friend lists, follow these steps:

Go to the Friends page. Click the Account drop-down at the top of any page, and then click on "Edit Friends."
    Click "Create a List" at the top of the page to create a new list. You can also select an existing list on the left side of the page and enter friends' names to add them.

If you have more than two friend lists, you can also add or remove friends from lists using the menu that appears next to each name on the Friends.

Callow

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by callow View Post
    (...)
    Each time you post you can choose which list will see the post. Circles are not an original idea, simply easier to set up

Callow
    And isn't "easier to set up" just what we've all been looking for?
    -- Bob Primak --

New Lounger
    Thanks
    My point is circles should not be compared to groups, they are like lists. But to answer your question no, I only allow friends on facebook that I would want to see all of my posts. That's the easiest setup.

Callow

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Am I not speaking proper English? I do not need lessons on privacy.
    I was pointing out an error in the original article. Google + circles are in no way similar to groups. Google + circles and Facebook lists have similar functions. PERIOD.

Callow

Edit: that is good advice, I don't mean to sound rude
    Last edited by callow; 2011-08-06 at 13:27.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Sorry, Callow. I may have posted in the wrong place. I thought I was posting relative to the original article.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    If you're really concerned abut privacy, don't post anything anywhere that you don't want anyone in the world to know.

Given how Circles (on Google+) and features on Facebook may limit nominal distribution of what you post, you might be okay mentioning how you like a certain person to a certain group. On the other hand, if you discuss the bank you just robbed, some people are bound by their agreements to turn you in, and you may not know who those people are. Somewhere in the middle might be that you are gay and you don't want certain people to know that. That information might stay in your "circle" but it can also slip out whether due to the changing settings in the system you are using or because someone in one circle lets it slip to someone in another circle. (See "sexting" as an example of what can go VERY wrong.)

Social networking is exactly that - social and networking. Don't be paranoid, but use appropriate discretion. Don't assume that the website will protect you. It's not their job.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by bobabrahams View Post
    Sorry, Callow. I may have posted in the wrong place. I thought I was posting relative to the original article.
    My fault bobabrahams. Sorry
    I was taught waaaaaaaay before Al Gore even invented the internet that if you want something kept secret, don't tell anyone!

Callow

Thanks
    I agree that if you don't want everyone to see what you post, don't post it. But there are often REQUIRED fields, and there you are indeed in a quandry. To participate, you must reveal more than you wish. But to keep personal stuff private, you would be excluded from participation.

The same issues apply when we want to remain secure by using the Firefox NoScript plug-in, but a web site operator refuses site access to all Firefox users who have a detectable NoScript plug-in installed. (They classify the plug-in as an ad blocker, which it is NOT!) What recourse do we have? We must accept the risks, or stop participating. What to do?
    -- Bob Primak --