New Lounger
    Thanks

Windows XP and 8G of memory

I have a machine with a 4-core phenom processor dual booting between linux and windows XP. I got it with 4G of memory, and it has worked perfectly.

I recently upgraded to 8G of memory. Linux (64-bit) continues to work perfectly, but XP (32-bit) crashes out with a bsod during boot. It will boot into safe mode, but not into normal mode.

I have run memtest86+ and not seen any memory errors.

So far google has not thrown up anything that helps.

Anyone else seen this and know what the problems is?

2. Get our unique weekly Newsletter with tips and techniques, how to's and critical updates on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows XP, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google, etc. Join our 480,000 subscribers!

Excel 2013: The Missing Manual

+ Get this BONUS — free!

Get the most of Excel! Learn about new features, basics of creating a new spreadsheet and using the infamous Ribbon in the first chapter of Excel 2013: The Missing Manual - Subscribe and download Chapter 1 for free!

Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    No doubt you already know that the 32bit version of XP will only see around 3.75GB of your 8GB Ram. However, that isn't the failure mode here.

If the box runs XP in safe mode but not in normal run mode, the quantity of Ram is not the root cause. The Windows configuration and setup is at fault - it would appear that you have a Windows services or driver problem. Take a note of the error code in the BSOD and investigate that. You can download Windbg and use that to investigate the failure.

My assumption is that one of the core components, probably the HAL, does not like the 8GB configuration. It might be possible to find a combination of 8GB sticks that run, but that could end up very expensive. Perhaps the way out of this is to re-build the HAL by performing a non-destructive Windows re-installation.

As stated at the top however, you will be investing quite a reasonable time and effort for zero gain on the XP platform. Unless you use the 64 bit Linux platform a lot, I would contemplate dropping back to 4GB.

Oh, and sorry for my bad manners: Welcome to the lounge!
    Last edited by Tinto Tech; 2011-08-04 at 07:01. Reason: a little clarification, and a welcome!

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Tinto Tech For This Useful Post:

CLiNT (2011-08-04)

Thanks
    bjswm, welcome to the Lounge as a new poster.

Any chance you have a 64 Bit Win XP available that you could reinstall XP? Otherwise you are probably stuck with 4 GB RAM. This is the biggest advantage at present for switching to 64 Bit OS rather than the 32 Bit OS, accessing more RAM.

Another consideration, if you use a lot of 16 Bit apps they may not work in a 64 Bit environment.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

Thanks
    Ted, did anyone ever install XP 64-bit? I thought the (jolly good) reason for not doing so was the almost total absence of 64-bit XP drivers...
    BATcher

Dear Diary, today the Hundred Years War started ...

Thanks
    Actually I installed XP 64 bit on an Athlon 64 based Acer laptop (one of those $279 specials) a couple of years ago. It had come with Vista Home Basic, and my son gave me the XP 64 bit he received during his West Point graduation (West Point gave his graduating class a slew of Microsoft software, and he did not want most of it). So I decided to give it a try on the Acer. I used that Acer for about a year, and had no difficulty in obtaining all the drivers to make it very stable. It ran faster than XP Pro 32 bit, was extremely stable, never blue screening or freezing even once. I wiped it off the hard drive and restored an image of Vista Home Basic a few months ago when I sold the Acer to a friend. I still have the XP 64 bit install CD.

When XP x64 was first released, it was a mess to obtain drivers, and never did become mainstream. However, later it became rock solid, howbeit just a tad too late to have any impact on sales. Evidently it layed some of the groundwork for Microsoft's development of x64 bit operating systems.

Administrator
    Thanks
    IIRC, XP 64-bit was a Windows Server 2003 variant and not really an XP version.

Joe

Lounger
    Thanks
    I used XP x64 for awhile and I really like it. It was very stable, fast. I move to Windows 7 x64 mainly to get the auto window layout feature. It is nice to push a window to the far left and have it auto size!