New Lounger
    Thanks

Motherboard replaced, now WIN7 login screen requires non-existent password

Hey there,
    My 3 year old, but fairly new to me, Lenovo T61 Thinkpad with WIN7 Enterprise OS, just got a motherboard replacement due to the very well documented and shamefully unethical and immoral Nvidia graphics display adapter meltdown problem.

Just got a call from my local PC repair shop doing the warranty work and while the display works now, I am told that the logon screen is now requiring a password to continue booting.
    I always had auto-logon enabled and at the logon screen I always just typed in "admin", hit enter and was on my way.
    I never had any kind of additional password installed in any way what so ever. It's a home laptop and I, living alone, am the only user.
    I have no image iso to fall back on, only some pics, emails and browser favorites backed up. A non-destructive re-install is possible, but I would rather avoid that if I can.

It seems to me that the PC repair shop should have the capacity to circumvent this situation and get the repair finished. I'm thinking maybe it's something to do with the new mobo bios maybe?
    Any ideas on what I can tell them?

Thanks
    Bumjelly,

If the repair shop is any good at all they should have a Linux boot disk that can clear and/or reset the passwords.
    May the Forces of good computing be with you!

RG

VBA Rules!

My Systems: Desktop Specs
    Laptop Specs

New Lounger
    Thanks
    RetiredGeek,
    That is my point exactly.
    Why are they asking me for what I know was a "blank password entry" in order to enable auto-logon?
    The shop, near NC State in Raleigh, NC, is an authorized IBM / Lenovo warranty, repair shop, staffed with mature adults,and has a good reputation, locally.
    Maybe it's just a lack of experience concerning the individual tech. and perhaps I should ask to speak with the owner of the shop. He is always on hand from what I understood before taking the laptop in for repair.

I would still like to hear any and all suggestions, that won't cost me $, concerning this situation.
    Thanks all...

Thanks
    Here's a link that might help you;http://www.intowindows.com/how-to-by...n-three-steps/
    Problems cannot be solved by the same level of thinking that created them. -Albert Einsten

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Hey all,
    Just spoke with the owner of the repair shop - here's the poop and it don't smell good, but then I'm not as geeky as I am hoping some of ya'll are.

They ran a password stripper, as RetiredGeek suggested, got past the logon screen.
    Tried to run the repair utility, it "rattled and hummed" and went through the motions for a while - in the end it said "repair not possible."
    They tried to go back to the last restore point and that didn't work either for some reason.
    Note: The OS was working fine, perfect actually, when the P.O.S. Nvidia display adapter went "schitzo-frantic" and had it's meltdown.
    I don't see how the loss of a display adapter can futz up the WIN7 OS to the point of requiring a complete OS re-install.
    They recommend a re-install of WIN7 and all that that entails but I would rather not start all over if at all possible.
    I'll be picking up the T61 in the morning and I guess it's up to me, or I mean all of us, to get it back on track.

What about a soft, non-data destructive re-install of WIN7? I used to do that from time to time over the years with WINXP and WIN 98SE and that always worked fine.
    Or is my current situation an animal of a different type all together?

Cheers, and thanks for the input. I love a challenge...

Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    To be fair, the repair shop may have a "no-hack" policy.

When presented with this type of situation (quite regularly in fact), I always ask the user for the password. If I get an answer such as "I don't know", or "It's never asked me for that before", I offer to recover or reset the password. Then, I only ever recover or reset the password after explicit permission to do so, explaining that it involves the use of technologies that some may consider hacking tools.

Perhaps it's different in the US; but in the UK, this is a dangerous area (legally speaking) - especially if the user complained afterwards. I prefer to tread carefully, and it does my reputation for honesty no harm at all!

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Tinto Tech,
    Thanks for the precise and lucid reply.
    I had explained to the tech several times, after the initial postings here, that originally, when I first got the T61, I set the "password" with a "blank box" and had never entered anything different in the whole time I had the T61 and have never had a problem logging in.

I currently live alone, so sad, the T61 never leaves the house, once again like me and doubly sad that is, and no one has access to it but me. Therefore, a miniscule chance at best for tampering with and/or horseplay by any other human in this plane of existence. However, my dog has had a most unusual look in his eye lately, like he knows something I don't, which actually wouldn't be all that hard to accomplish.

Anyway, I gave the tech the only 3 passwords that could have ever been entered. Even if so remotely possible, maybe done during a drunken haze and or when I was off of my meds. Just kidding, of course, I never mix meds with alcohol.

Later, the tech and I, with owner of the repair shop along for the 3 way conversation, discussed what has been posted above and that is where my saga is right now.

The concern I have now is that, by standard Lenovo warranty policy, only an exact duplicate mobo can be installed under said warranty.
    All of the mobo's made within that certain timeframe have the known and documented very, very bad Nvidia display adapter chipset installed. This has been confirmed by both Lenovo and Nvidia. I will probably have the same thing happen again.
    This is also documented so very well on the Lenovo website forums themselves. There are at least 80 some pages just on this one subject alone concerning Lenovo Thinkpads with the Nvidia chipsets in question.
    Mobo's made after the aforementioned time frame have not had any of the problems suffered by their older cousins. Yet, they cannot be installed in place of the P.O.S. mobo's due to corporate BS and outdated policys.
    Certainly NOT the way to do business in my book. This has and will continue to give Lenovo and Nvidia bad PR coverage for some time to come. OK, my rant is over now, I feel the med's kicking in...

Tinto Tech, I do, ever so much, like, admire and highly approve of your fine, upstanding moral and ethical fiber. Truely, I do.
    Sometimes it's standard policy for "others" to do the easy wrong thing instead of the hard right thing especially when they don't know you from any other guy on the street.
    Perhaps you and others like you could go to work for Lenovo and Nvidia and set things right.
    We'll see what happens when I get mt T61 home tommorow. Stay tuned...

Cheers,
    Randall in Carolina