Thread: SATA ports

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

SATA ports

How many SATA ports are on the typical business-type motherboards these days? Is it still two?

And, let's say I have a PC with just two SATA ports, and I want to use Windows to make a RAID array for my data drive. Can I add a SATA card, say two more ports heading into into a PCIe slot, then use Windows 7 Pro to make a mirrored or striped set? I know.....a stripe set makes no sense like this, or maybe it does?

Gold Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by John-O View Post
    How many SATA ports are on the typical business-type motherboards these days? Is it still two?

And, let's say I have a PC with just two SATA ports, and I want to use Windows to make a RAID array for my data drive. Can I add a SATA card, say two more ports heading into into a PCIe slot
    John-O

Hello... I don't know if there is a standard ..some are 2 and i have 4... However i use a "SATA Controller Card Sil3124-2" PCI-e New Egg (SD-SATA2-4IR From SYBA, 4 Extra SATA ports ) You can configure for Raid or Non Raid. There about a "zillion" available. This one works with Windows Vista and "7" 32 and 64 ... Has some "Quirks" If i connect any CD\DVD drives i can't boot from a disk.. otherwise it works OK.. Make sure that you contact the manufacturer before you purchase.. ..ex: one (Vantec) required a "Floppy Drive " to update (flash its BIOS) Regards Fred
    Last edited by Just Plain Fred; 2011-08-04 at 15:08.
    PlainFred

None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free (J. W. Von Goethe)

Thanks
    Most of your newer boards can handle up to 6 SATA ports, some boards even more.
    Even many Micro ATX boards will have more than 2 SATA ports.

It should not be too hard to track your boards specs down. Find a hardware ID tool like SIW, or some other similar tool
    to get the make and model number, then Google/Bing for results.

You can also physically open up the case and visually count the ports.

Thanks
    I have 6 on my ASUS P5Q SE/R motherboard.
    "If You Are Reading This In English, Thank A VET"

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks guys. Clint, recall that my project is a system I'll send out to others, not knowing what PCs they're using. No idea what mobo/BIOS they'll have, if the hardware can do RAID.

I think I'm doing a RAID card as Fred mentions, that removes their hardware limitations from the picture.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    You may have discovered this by now but one thing to remember about RAID cards is they come in two main varieties, those that have their own RAID processor and those that use the CPU. Downside about the RAID cards with their own processor is they cost more.

I've been using the same RAID card (with its own processor) for about 10 years. Nice thing about it is that I can plug it into new hardware when I upgrade motherboards and outside of updating the motherboard drivers, I'm good to go. Note: I think I've updated its firmware a couple of times.