Lounger
    Thanks

System Restore does not complete

I rarely have occasion to use System Restore on my Windows 7 Professional x64 system but today I tried to restore to a previous day and after going through all of the stuff it does and rebooting, I got the following error message:
    System Restore did not complete successfully, Your computer's files and settings were not changed.
    Details; System Restore could not access a file. This is probably because an anti-virus program is running on the computer . Temporally disable your antivirus program and retry System Restore.
    An unspecified error occurred during System Restore, (0x80070005)

The only antivirus program I ever had on the system is Microsoft Security Essentials and I thought that on a 64 bit system this would not interfere. But, I went into Safe Mode (no network), turned off MSE and tried to restore again. Same result. I have used Restore in the past and it did work.

A diligent Google search came up with lots of similar problems, but no solutions. I am hoping that the Lounge members can suggest anything other than a Repair Install.
    Thanks.

Thanks
    In my experience, System Restore is marginally successful at best. I have found that Imaging with a good 3rd party app has been much more successful. My Images have always successfully restored my system when the need arose. What was the problem that prompted your restore attempt?
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Ted Myers View Post
    In my experience, System Restore is marginally successful at best. I have found that Imaging with a good 3rd party app has been much more successful. My Images have always successfully restored my system when the need arose. What was the problem that prompted your restore attempt?
    I certainly agree with you. I do have both image backup and data backups. I have found though that System Restore can provide a quick and dirty recovery when I do something stupid and screw up things a bit. I also don't like not knowing why a fundamental part of the Windows OS is not working.
    I have tried sfc/ scannow and that didn't find anything wrong nor did it help.

Gold Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by nobble View Post
    I also don't like not knowing why a fundamental part of the Windows OS is not working.
    nobble,
    Hello... Welcome to my world.... In the past i have had the same experience with Vista.... I long ago gave up, switched off "System Restore" ( now on "7" ) and have never "looked back". With a 3rd party Free software and a "Pay for" one (Acronis) i no longer "Mess" with it... Complete waste of time ... Why would anyone depend on a "Recovery" system that seems to fail every now and then? With Macrium Reflect Free or Acronis True Image Home 2010, can get me back ...no matter how bad i mess up...in 10 minutes. Try this free program ( many here use this as well rather than the Windows flavor) Macrium Free Regards Fred
    PlainFred

None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free (J. W. Von Goethe)

Thanks
    I have also turned System Restore completely off because my experience with Images has been SO successful. I have never looked back either.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,162 Times in 1,069 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nobble View Post
    I certainly agree with you. I do have both image backup and data backups. I have found though that System Restore can provide a quick and dirty recovery when I do something stupid and screw up things a bit. I also don't like not knowing why a fundamental part of the Windows OS is not working.
    I have tried sfc/ scannow and that didn't find anything wrong nor did it help.
    Unfortunately Windows Restore is not that reliable, as you have found. I still keep it active, because it provides another layer that you can resort to, even when imaging my computers once a week. It has the additional benefit of windows keeping file versions, whenever it creates a restore point, something that can be useful as well.
    So, IMHO, there is no harm in keeping System Restore active, even if it should not be your single line of defense in case of trouble.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to ruirib For This Useful Post:

nobble (2011-08-06)

Lounger
    Thanks
    I agree with you and want to keep WR active and useable. Unfortunately, I still haven't found out any way to get the Restore function to work. I have seen some reference to Registry entries that need to be changed to fix it but nothing specific. Others have said that a non-destructive repair install of Windows 7 will sort out the problem. I will do this as a last resort if I cannot find any less drastic fix.
    Thanks.

Thanks
    Nobble,

I had a system restore fail yesterday at our HOA office. I ran chkdsk C: /R, you have to reboot for this to work. After it fixed some problems system restore worked just fine. YMMV. Good Luck.
    May the Forces of good computing be with you!

RG

VBA Rules!

My Systems: Desktop Specs
    Laptop Specs

10. The Following User Says Thank You to RetiredGeek For This Useful Post:

nobble (2011-10-06)

Lounger
    Thanks
    Thank You! Such a simple (but time consuming) solution. chkdsk has been around so long I never think that it can be effective. Now that I have SR working again I probably will never use it.
    Thanks again.
    Ken