Results 1 to 8 of 8
  1. #1
    3 Star Lounger midnight's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Almost Deep East Texas
    Posts
    352
    Thanks
    42
    Thanked 8 Times in 7 Posts

    Secunia PSI and Adobe

    On one of my machines (HP laptop, Win7, SP1) Secunia PSI insists my Adobe reader 9xx and Shockwave 10 xx are end of the line and need manual patching. Both have been updated with the installation process showing "previous versions deleted". Neither of these old programs show on the hard drive, or via Control Panel uninstall.

    Have rebooted twice and still no update in Secunia. What to do? Probably should go to their forum, but I like here first.

    BJ

  2. #2
    Super Moderator RetiredGeek's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Manning, South Carolina
    Posts
    9,433
    Thanks
    371
    Thanked 1,456 Times in 1,325 Posts
    BJ,

    My guess would be that they have left behind traces in the Registry and/or Program Files not all uninstall programs do a good job of cleaning up all the stuff the installer loads. I'd try running CCleaner's Registry fixer and see if that cleans things up. This is also why many here use Revo Uninstaller instead of Windows Programs & Features to uninstall programs as it gets a lot of that junk that the base uninstaller leaves behind. YMMV
    May the Forces of good computing be with you!

    RG

    PowerShell & VBA Rule!

    My Systems: Desktop Specs
    Laptop Specs

  3. #3
    Administrator
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Portugal
    Posts
    12,519
    Thanks
    152
    Thanked 1,397 Times in 1,220 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by midnight View Post
    On one of my machines (HP laptop, Win7, SP1) Secunia PSI insists my Adobe reader 9xx and Shockwave 10 xx are end of the line and need manual patching. Both have been updated with the installation process showing "previous versions deleted". Neither of these old programs show on the hard drive, or via Control Panel uninstall.

    Have rebooted twice and still no update in Secunia. What to do? Probably should go to their forum, but I like here first.

    BJ
    You can view the folder and files secunia is complaining about. Have you tried to do that?

  4. #4
    3 Star Lounger midnight's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Almost Deep East Texas
    Posts
    352
    Thanks
    42
    Thanked 8 Times in 7 Posts
    Thanks, RG and rurib, I did run Ccleaner and checked the registry. Didn't find any traces there but will get Revo for future use. These uninstalls were done by the new updated programs themselves, not from Windows. However I started digging deeper into Secunia and realized the answer was sort of 'in my face'. When I opened the folder of the files Secunia was complaining about, I found the obscure program references...... both from the original stuff installed by HP. I haven't had a chance to go back in and actually find those entries and delete them. Later today, when I finish the income tax. (extension almost up!!)

    BJ

  5. #5
    Administrator
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Portugal
    Posts
    12,519
    Thanks
    152
    Thanked 1,397 Times in 1,220 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by midnight View Post
    Thanks, RG and rurib, I did run Ccleaner and checked the registry. Didn't find any traces there but will get Revo for future use. These uninstalls were done by the new updated programs themselves, not from Windows. However I started digging deeper into Secunia and realized the answer was sort of 'in my face'. When I opened the folder of the files Secunia was complaining about, I found the obscure program references...... both from the original stuff installed by HP. I haven't had a chance to go back in and actually find those entries and delete them. Later today, when I finish the income tax. (extension almost up!!)

    BJ
    The good thing with Secunia is that it will open you the folder with the offending files. That allows you to decide, there and then, what to do which, depending on the program affected, may even be as simple as deleting the files.

  6. #6
    Gold Lounger Roderunner's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Scotland.
    Posts
    3,462
    Thanks
    16
    Thanked 216 Times in 183 Posts
    BJ
    If you re install them, then use http://revo-uninstaller-portable.en.softonic.com/ (its one less pc prog) to remove them. Re install Shockwave, and Foxit Reader it a lot smaller and safer than Adobe Reader.
    O wad some Power the giftie gie us, to see oursels as ithers see us!

  7. #7
    3 Star Lounger midnight's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Almost Deep East Texas
    Posts
    352
    Thanks
    42
    Thanked 8 Times in 7 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ruirib View Post
    The good thing with Secunia is that it will open you the folder with the offending files. That allows you to decide, there and then, what to do which, depending on the program affected, may even be as simple as deleting the files.
    Yes, I have since learned that. When I was trying to figure this out, I must not have clicked the right place, but it works now and I understand how to do this and will be ready if there is a next time.

    That laptop is running at 100% now!!

    BJ

  8. #8
    3 Star Lounger midnight's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Almost Deep East Texas
    Posts
    352
    Thanks
    42
    Thanked 8 Times in 7 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Roderunner View Post
    BJ
    http://revo-uninstaller-portable.en.softonic.com/ (its one less pc prog) to remove them. Re install Shockwave, and Foxit Reader it a lot smaller and safer than Adobe Reader.
    Got it. Makes sense to have this stuff on flash drive. I'll look into Foxit Reader.

    You guys are great.

    Barbara

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •