New Lounger
    Thanks

Question How to copy an Excel Spreadsheet and keep everything adjusted

Well, I've worked on this all day and come up close but no cigar. I'm in Excel 2007.

I built a single sheet to house a page showing a selection of foods in various food groups. Each food section grid is bordered and there are columns/rows with specific sizings for spacing. No formulas in use. There are a couple of graphics laid on blank areas (in text boxes) that need to propagate. I thought this would be sooo easy! Well....

I need to wind up with a second workBOOK that has 6 tabs. Each tab must contain a copy of the original single I just fine tuned. Yet, when I select ALL out of the original, copy and then paste it in to tab A, it comes out with standard formatting and no graphics. The formatting and bordering is left out. Looks awful. And, I was so proud. :-)

I wondered about Format Painter but it fails so that isn't the right answer. Why can I not just copy and paste? I will gladly manually add in the graphic elements as I realize those really aren't spreadsheet elements per se. Yes, I tried Paste Special too.

I thought I'd done something like this for another project years back with an older version of Excel. But apparently I'm behind the times with this newer version that I thought I understood.

What's the secret good people. I'm betting there's a really simple answer that I'm simply overlooking...

Herb

2. Get our unique weekly Newsletter with tips and techniques, how to's and critical updates on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows XP, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google, etc. Join our 480,000 subscribers!

Excel 2013: The Missing Manual

+ Get this BONUS — free!

Get the most of Excel! Learn about new features, basics of creating a new spreadsheet and using the infamous Ribbon in the first chapter of Excel 2013: The Missing Manual - Subscribe and download Chapter 1 for free!

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,152 Times in 1,061 Posts
    Hi,

Copying the full sheet is not an option?

Thanks
    First save the workbook as a new name.

Second right click the tab and choose copy, 5 times:

Copy Sheet.jpg Copy Sheet2.jpg
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Medico For This Useful Post:

whftherb (2011-08-06)

New Lounger
    Thanks

Exclamation OH - Good grief!!!!

Ted -

I am speechless. But so thankful you answered this.
    I was beginning to lose it.

If you select the entire worksheet (by clicking just past the margins, top left) copy and paste anew -- this does not work.

Ted's method does beautifully. I just knew there was a simple answer. And why I didn't try it is beyond me nor howcum I couldn't google it...

H

Thanks
    Glad I could help H.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Medico For This Useful Post:

whftherb (2011-08-06)

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by whftherb View Post
    it comes out with standard formatting and no graphics.
    I agree with Ted's answer as being the quickest way to accomplish what you want.

But there may be times when you're not copying an entire sheet that another method would work and could also have done what you want here:
    - after copying the sheet (or part of a sheet), use Paste Special and select the aspects of the copied material that you want to preserve with the paste. For example, you could paste formats (so you get your original formats), col widths, etc. IMHO, this dialog box could be improved (eg, use check boxes instead of radio buttons so you can select multiple items to preserve on paste instead of doing it one at a time).

Fred