Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    New Lounger
    Thanks

Angry Windows XP Update is now broken!

ALERT! Three times in the last two days, I have installed Windows XP Pro with Service Pack 3 (Dell Version) on three different Dell Laptops, with XP Pro stickers, of course. When I click on Windows Update, I get directed to a page that tells me that Windows Update may not work unless I install Service Pack 3 ! Which is, of course, already installed. In other words, Microsoft somehow broke its Update site for XP, either unwittingly or maybe wittingly. The KnowledgeBase citation displayed instead of an update page is 2497281.

This is a major pain. Of course, no response yet from Micro$oft, as one might expect. This has to get fixed... Ben Myers
    Last edited by Deadeye81; 2011-08-06 at 05:49. Reason: Remove advertising links

Thanks
    Ben, Welcome to the Lounge as a poster from another Myers.

I would try to download the SP3 update directly from MS and install it from the downloaded file rather than WU and see if it works.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    Caution!

Ben,

is there a reason why your links to XPProfessional, Delllaptops and laptops point to a cgi script in a web-mail account?

Attempted to open using Chrome running on Linux (I may not be that bright, but I'm not stupid either!) and they pointed to a mail2Web application.

Gentlemen, I recommend not clicking on those links until clarified

Thanks
    I never even noticed that Tinto since I did not try to open the links. I would definitely check out the source of the Win XP you are attempting to install. This may not be a secure or even reliable source. It may not be a broken WU, it may be the fact that MS realizes there is a problem with the download site??? Who knows.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

New Lounger
    Thanks

Did that!

Ted,

I have downloaded and installed the SP3 downloaded file from the Microsoft web site, exactly as you suggest. No luck.

I have downloaded and installed Windows Genuine (Dis-)Advantage and installed it, too. No luck.

I have downloaded and installed IE8 and installed it. No luck.

Please recall that I installed XP Pro originally from a Dell "Reinstallation CD" with SP3(!!!), differing from the OEM XP Pro only in the secret codes that allow Dell systems to bypass activation. I also ran the Windows Activation (non-)Wizard, and it said my XP Pro was activated.

This is a recent degradation in the Microsoft update web site, as I have set up probably hundreds of Dell systems in exactly the same way for the last 3-4 years.

Anything else you can suggest, I am all ears... Ben

Quote Originally Posted by Ted Myers View Post
    Ben, Welcome to the Lounge as a poster from another Myers.

I would try to download the SP3 update directly from MS and install it from the downloaded file rather than WU and see if it works.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Yes, ignore the links. I copied the message I posted here from one I sent originally from mail2web, which allows me to send and receive email any time anywhere, even with an ISP that prevents direct access to its email from non-ISP locations. Sorry about that. I did not edit the original post very well... Ben

New Lounger
    Thanks
    The source of my Windows install is an original Dell reinstallation CD with SP3. AFAIK, my router has not been hacked. The computers on which Windows is being updated are not the ones from which I am posting messages. Given all the hack attacks lately on US Govt sites, banks, etc by Anonymous, maybe the Microsoft Windows Update site has been attacked, too. But what has happened these last few days in way outside the norm of uSoft Update and it sure makes my life more difficult.

Thanks
    Where are you getting your valid keys for these PC's you're rebuilding. There is a chance MS WU sees these as invalid.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Good question. These are Dell laptops with real live original Dell XP Professional stickers on them and a Dell-branded reinstallation CD for Windows XP Professional with SP3. In the past, up until this week's mess, I have used the Dell CD countless times to reinstall Windows XP Pro AND update with all the patches, band-aids, bubble-gum and tissue paper from the Windows Update web site on Dell systems. (Yes, I also work on other systems, but I gotta lotta Dells.) Countless times. Well, maybe only a few hundred times. The combo if the Dell-branded CD and a legit Dell system with a Dell BIOS pre-activates the Windows install. i.e. One does not have to activate Windows.

You are probably correct. The WU site does not see these as valid systems for some obscure reason, even though the systems are pre-activated. When I ran the activation wizard again, it said that XP Pro was already activated, which confirms my assertion.

If I was some newbie doing this for the first time, that would be one thing. But after hundreds of successes doing the same thing, it is mind-boggling to have the process fail with the damned 2497281 KB article. That's why I am a little torqued up. The question remains why? Bwa-Ha-Ha-Ha. Only Microsoft knows.

The steps I follow here are tried and proven:
    1. Install Windows XP with SP3
    2. Install motherboard chipset drivers
    3. Install all other hardware drivers, ignoring annoying requests to do needless reboots.
    4. Reboot after all hardware drivers are installed.
    5. Go to WU site and install all updates, rebooting when asked.
    6. Install other software (Java, Acrobat Reader, A-V software, etc)
    6. Clean up the mess with CCleaner, manual removal of lots of junk files and removal of all the now-useless restore points.

Thanks
    So let me see if I follow your path:
    1. Acquire a used Dell laptop which originally had XP Pro installed with the original XP Pro sticker still on the laptop
    2. Reinstall XP Pro with SP3 from Dell branded CD including all appropriate drivers.
    3. Reactivate the installation using the key on the sticker. Most, if not all show as already activated.
    4. Attempt WU which is now failing.

Is there a chance the Dell XP Pro CD has become corrupted with some many uses? It appears you are still well within the End of Support cycle for XP SP3. Did these 3 laptops come from the same source? Could there be some propriatary stuff that is not being overwritten by your new install? Do you ensure one partition only (including a possible recovery partition) and format prior to installation? Any chance of hardware failure (this is a long shot since the reinstallation seemed to work).

Ben, at this point I guess I'm running out of ideas. Is it possible the WU site was down temporarily? I have not used XP since I bought laptops with Vista and upgraded to Win 7. Sorry I could not help figure things out.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Thanks
    See if Reset Windows Update helps. By the way WU should work for critical updates even on systems Microsoft considers not valid.

Jerry
    Last edited by jwitalka; 2011-08-07 at 12:21.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    We have been experiencing the same problem on 32 bit Windows XP SP3 from Dell reinstall CD's. Have found that the resolution in the below link works.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/949104

New Lounger
    Thanks

It's working again.

It looks like Microsoft has fixed the issue with Windows Update on XP. I was having the same problem for the last couple of days. And the software and Key were fresh downloads from my MSDN Subscription. I tested MarkCom17's solution on one of the boxes I was having problems with, and it worked. Then I tried a second box (which had been having the problem) without adding the patch, and it also worked. So, it looks like the issue was on Microsoft's end.

Tim Haas

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I had the same problem with an HP Compaq Restore Disk pair that uses an OEM Key instead of the Key on the sticker and activates XP. Exact same process you used on your Dell machines and which I have also used multiple times on Dell machines.

I accidently found an answer by turning on Automatic Updates which then proceeded to download the 99 Priority Updates.

I turned Automatic Updates off after that and Microsoft Update when started manually worked and I downloaded additional updates, etc.

Thanks
    With all the complaints running around all over the internet, about MS Updates corrupting a Windows XP PC, I've taken the only path that seems sensible to me........... I shut off Auto Updates and then 'Forgetaboutit'.

For XP I don't want any more updates from MS.

Now, on my Windows 7 PC, that's a different matter, and I still have auto updates turned on, that is till one of them causes me problems and then it's Goodby Auto Updates.

K.I.S.S. (keep it simple Sam!)

The Doctor
    Experience is truly the best teacher.

Backup! Backup! Backup! GHOST Rocks!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast