5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Ethernet printer offline

Without warning my HP OfficeJet J6480, wired Ethernet connection, has gone Offline. Both Carol's Win7 and Howard's (me) Vista (SP2) PCs can no longer connect to the printer over the LAN. All other LAN functions are OK. I reconnected via USB cable and we can both print. Here's what I have done so far to troubleshoot the problem.
    Checked the router. DHCP Server is On.
    Starting address: 192.168.1.64
    Ending address: 192.168.1.254
    Carol's Win 7 IP .....1.70
    Howard's Vista IP ...1.65
    OfficeJet IP ....... ..1.67 Offline
    Officejet Fax IP.. ...1.65 Host=HP7FE85A
    HP7FE85A IP .........1.66 (HP OfficeJet J6400 series) Web Services printer. Not sure how this got there since I don't use Web Services.
    Ipad IP ................1.67 Wireless

When I ping 1.67 with the iPad ON I get a normal response.
    When I ping 1.67 with the iPad Off, I get Reply from 1.65 (Howard), Destination Host Unreachable.
    Interesting note. With the iPad Off, the router (Verizon GT 704-WG DSL modem/router) still shows the iPad connected at IP 1.67! Yes, I logged off the router and logged back in.
    There are clearly some IP conflicts. How do I resolve them? The only system changes I have made recently were from Windows Update.
    BTW, the OJ printer also has a wireless capability.

I've listed all the info I can think of. Let me know if you need more.
    HH

2. Get our unique weekly Newsletter with tips and techniques, how to's and critical updates on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows XP, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google, etc. Join our 480,000 subscribers!

Excel 2013: The Missing Manual

+ Get this BONUS — free!

Get the most of Excel! Learn about new features, basics of creating a new spreadsheet and using the infamous Ribbon in the first chapter of Excel 2013: The Missing Manual - Subscribe and download Chapter 1 for free!

Thanks
    Personally, I would give the printer a fixed IP address outside the DHCP range. (Maybe it already has a fixed IP address - but within the DHCP range, so the router doesn't know about it?)
    BATcher

Dear Diary, today the Hundred Years War started ...

4. The Following User Says Thank You to BATcher For This Useful Post:

Howard Hillman (2011-10-25)

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Right you are. I checked the IP address at the printer and found that it was 192.168.1.73. How It got to be .73 is a mystery. A printer network configuration page from June showed it was .66! Anyway, I loaded the the HP software, selected Add Printer and selected TCP/IP. The software found the printer (at .73) and completed. I reconnected the iPad and it's IP came in at .67, as before. All is well.
    Thanks,
    HH