New Lounger
    Thanks

Microsoft/USB 3.0 Boot Conflict

HP Elitebook HP8560p with Windows 7 Professional X64 with 8 GB of RAM: Two USB 3.0 and two USB 2.0 ports:

When a USB 3.0 hub is attached to either of the USB 3.0 ports, the boot process fails. I have two WD 2.0 TB USB 3.0 external drives and a Canon MP870 USB printer connected to a SIIG USB 3.0 7 port hub. Any of the three items connected direct to either USB 3.0 ports on my HP8560p works just fine.

If I leave the hub connected to my PC, with a USB 3.0 cord, whenever the PC is started, it locks up prior to the boot password request. If I want to use my USB 3.0 hub, l have to remember to remove the connection to my PC when I shutdown. If I don’t, when I restart the PC, it fails to boot to the logon screen. If I wait for my password request, then plug in the USB 3.0 hub, there is no problem.

It would seem to be a USB hub problem, so I got a second USB 3.0 hub, from a different manufacturer, a “Superspeed USB” 3.0, 4 port hub. The results were identical. Therefore, it isn’t likely that the hub is the problem.

That left the drives, so I tried 3 Seagate GoFlex 2.0 TB (USB 3.0) with the same result. I’m using what I think are the latest drivers for the hubs, drives, and PC (both Win 7 & HP). What am I missing?

Thanks
    Harris, Welcome to the Lounge. New members are always nice to see.

There have been many documented cases where USB devices plugged in during boot have caused problems. Check in your Bios and see what the boot order is. It may just be that having the hub plugged in during boot will not work. Does the hub work OK if you plug it in after boot?
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thank you, Ted. On the road right now, but will check bios. Didn't know what I was getting into apparently. Yes, everything works well if I hold up plugging the hub into the PC AFTER the sign-on. When I forget to pull the connection when signing off & I open it up again with it still plugged-in, it locks up. I have to remove the connection and reboot. So it's a real pain.