Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Excel closes down unexpectedly

I am using Windows 7 as wmy operating system. On a regular basis Excel Closes down unexpectantly when activating a macro. Also when I have 3 or more workbooks open and I try to open another a message comes up "insufficient resources"

It would be appreciated if someone could assist me

Thanks
    How much RAM do you have in your PC?
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi Ted

Thanks for the reply. I have 4GB of RAM. I have had office 2007 uninstalled and then re-installed and the problem still occurs on a regular basis

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,167 Times in 1,071 Posts
    Do you have any Excel add-ons installed?

Thanks
    Howard, are you going to be upgrading to 2010 as you indicated in another thread. If so I might try installing 2010 along side 2007 (You would have to uninstall Outlook 2007 only, the remainder of the Office suite can be left installed. 2007 and 2010 will co-exist) This might tell you if there is a corruption the uninstall/reinstall of 2007 did not take care of. If so, once 2010 is installed and working just uninstall 2007 (I might also consider an app such as Revo Uninstaller or CCleaner to clean up and find any leftover portions the 2007 uninstaller leaves behind.)
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi Ted

Thanks for the advise, much appreciated. My IT dept have been informing me that 2010 uses a lot more resources, hence my posting. I thought that that might be "pulling the wool over my eyes" as they did not want to purchase a later version

Administrator
    Thanks
    I don't concur with that assessment over more resources. I have yet to see Excel fail for excessive resource use and your 4 GB RAM are more than enough for normal usage.
    What I have seen cause issues are add-ins, many times, both with 2007 and 2010. You can start simply by disabling the existing add-ins and see how Excel behaves. If the problem goes away, you will have your solution. If not, then something else needs to be tried.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks for your reply. I have noted your comments and will check on Monday when I go to work, if there are any add-ins that need to be disabled. If these are disabled is there any software that one can use that is trusted and eliable that I can purchase or download for free that can detect and fix this sort of error

Your assistance in this regard will be most appreciated

Administrator
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by HowardC View Post
    Thanks for your reply. I have noted your comments and will check on Monday when I go to work, if there are any add-ins that need to be disabled. If these are disabled is there any software that one can use that is trusted and eliable that I can purchase or download for free that can detect and fix this sort of error

Your assistance in this regard will be most appreciated
    Hi,

I am not aware of such software.

One thing that you can try, if it is a macro that causes your problem, is to change the Trust Center Macro settings, even if temporarily, to Enable all Macros. If it works, then you know that it's the security settings that cause it. You can then set the folder where you have your "troublesome" sheet as a trusted location. Here you have detailed instructions on how to do both: http://faculty.fuqua.duke.edu/~peckl...o security.pdf
    Last edited by ruirib; 2011-08-06 at 11:20.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks for the info, will try this when I get to work on Monday and will kep you posted

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I agree with Ted here. As a long time Excel user, 4GB is more than enough RAM there should not be any resources issues at all. So first enable all macros, do the "trust center" settings for the folder with the sheet. One other thing, when you're running excel with two or three workbooks open start Task Manager (right click on the Taskbar, click Start Task Manager") and see where all the resources are being used. Go from Programs to Services, click on the Memory column heading to sort it in descending order and see what comes on top. Then do the same with the CPU column. If there are no obvious answers there, continue on to the Trust Center, enable macros, and disable add-ons.
    Good Luck!
    Joel

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Excel Closes Down Unexpectantly

Hi Guys

Thanks for all the help, this is most appreciated. Just to let you know after many weeks of being frustrated, the problem has been finally resolved by pointing me in the right direction.

I went into trust centre, Trust centre settings ,clicked on the checkbox "allow trusted locations on my network", added the added the folders where the Excel workbooks are residing and clicked on subfolders.

Excel is now working properly without closing down or coming up with a message "insufficient resources"

Regards

Howard

Administrator
    Thanks
    Glad it's sorted now.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Me too, its been rather frustrating. My IT dept could not resolve the problem and wanted to reload Windows XP as they thought that Windows 7 was the problem. I kept telling them that it could not be as there have been no posts regarding any incompatibility issues with Ofiice 2007.

The guys on this forum have been great in resolving my IT issues and I have learnt a great deal

Administrator
    Thanks
    A similar behavior occurs with Office 2010 and it's that behavior that is very hard to understand. It was actually the fact that I experienced it that led me to suggest the solution.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast