Thanks

Flash drive quality

Last week DrWho wrote:
    "Good quality USB Flash Drives are so cheap anymore, that no-one has to buy junk."

Any further comments on quality flash drives? I have several Lexars that I like, had a San-Disk that I hated, and another one that was forgettable.

Clue me in please.

Barbara AKA BJ
    Last edited by midnight; 2011-08-06 at 07:13. Reason: correct typo

Thanks
    Thanked 1,457 Times in 1,326 Posts
    BJ,

Personally, I've never had a problem with a SanDisk and I have a bunch...YMMV. I just snagged 4 more at Staples 2 weeks ago when they had 4 Giggers for 5.99!
    May the Forces of good computing be with you!

RG

PowerShell & VBA Rule!

My Systems: Desktop Specs
    Laptop Specs

Thanks
    For that price I could probably learn to love them! The one I had was early on in the flashdrive game so I could give them another try.

We don't have a Staples in reasonable shopping distance :-(

Barbara

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I've used Corsair Flash Voyager GTs and those up to 16GB have been fast and reliable. I highly recommend them.

Bigger ones (GTRs) are total toss unless, of course, Corsair have done something to sort out the serious bug. Once corrupted, they become throw away devices. I had three replaced under warranty and the fourth I sold on eBay without even opening it.

Thanks
    I have always looked to a site of something like;http://www.pcmag.com/products.aspx/p...e%26dir%3ddesc
    Totally unbias review,for most hardware.
    Problems cannot be solved by the same level of thinking that created them. -Albert Einsten

Thanks
    Thanks for the suggestion, but there is not much current there. Maybe nothing has changed.

Barbara AKA BJ

Thanks
    The site I suggested,the reviews I checked on were this year.In fact the 1st one was dated July,2011.I'm not sure how current you would like?
    Problems cannot be solved by the same level of thinking that created them. -Albert Einsten

Thanks
    I just looked at the page again and there are different reviews and different dates from the one I first saw....... I'll go back to it when I have more time.
    Thanks.

Barbara

Thanks
    BJ
    In the last five years or so, over a dozen new Flash Drive brands have hit the stores and it's really hard to tell 'quality' till the FD fails, then you could say "it must not have been good quality". Either that or you zapped it with static electricity. (Never touch the connector with your fingers)
    SanDisk was in the market from the beginning and I too have several of them. You won't usually find them at discount prices though.
    I even have several little flash drives that I bought at Staples with their own name on them. They work great and they were sold at a ridiculously low price. Now I wish I'd bought a dozen of them. (sniff)

Both Circuit City and Tiger Direct (Comp USA Stores) are selling the "Data Stick PRO" at very nice 'low' prices and I have several of them now, in the 8 to 16 gig size range.

I was a little apprehensive about the PNY drives, but the low price got me to buy several of them and I've had NO failures.
    So I guess the bottom line would be.... buy what you can afford.

The only brand I try to stay away from is 'Kingston'. I've had some really bad experience with that company.
    (I won't go into details here)

Good Luck!
    The Doctor
    Experience is truly the best teacher.

Backup! Backup! Backup! GHOST Rocks!