Thread: Macrium Reflect

Thanks

Lightbulb Macrium Reflect

Has the free version of Macrium Reflect changed in the new edition? [v 4.2, build 3775] Or did it never have "files and folders backup" capability?

So, all of you folks who are using it to back up are either (1) using the paid version or (2)using it for creating image only.

Color me uniformed.

BJ AKA Barbara

Thanks
    I believe the ability to backup individual files and folders is a feature available only on the paid version. I use the free edition to create images.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Deadeye81 For This Useful Post:

midnight (2011-08-06)

Thanks
    Gerald is correct. Imaging works very well with the free edition. This site shows the differences. For what you are seeking you would need the paid edition. This has always been the case.
    Last edited by Medico; 2011-08-07 at 07:53.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Medico For This Useful Post:

midnight (2011-08-06)

Thanks
    Thank you both for confirmation. I thought I might be misreading something. I have done a few system images with it and was just thinking I needed to do a new data backup.
    So I will use the built-in in Win7 for that.

Out of curiousity, what DO you use for data, photos etc.?

Barbara

Thanks
    Robocopy. (But I write BATch files...)
    BATcher

Time prevents everything happening all at once...

Thanks
    Good morning, Barbara.

My data needs are relatively modest. On any one PC, the volume of data I maintain has little impact on my image size when I image my drive, so I do not maintain my data on another partition as do several of our fellow Loungers. I keep my data on the system partition and image everything. I also use Dropbox to store most of my data online as well as syncing the data to at least three machines in our home network so that I have redundant copies of all my data. I do, however, encrypt any sensitive data files before placing them in Dropbox to add another layer of security. Dropbox also encrypts your data, but if the user encrypts before placing his/her data in Dropbox, then anyone getting into the Dropbox files will have to break the user's encryption to view the files. There are other services similar to Dropbox, but my Dropbox experience has been very positive. Still, I have some data that I will never entrust to "cloud" storage.

I have a habit of copying any files I change to a 16GB USB thumb drive as well. I use two of them, alternating them so at least one is completely up to date every day. Again, the volume of my data makes this easy to maintain, but if I had more data to manage, I would automate the procedure by scheduling a daily data backup to a USB external disk drive. I also keep a copy of all data on two USB external hard disks as well, but they are not both updated every day. Very few of my files change on a daily basis. Finally, I keep an up to date copy of my files offsite in a fire resistant/water resistant file cabinet, which also includes archives going back over several years - stuff that never changes.

The key to my scheme is utilizing Dropbox to sync redundant copies of our data files over several computers. I have never lost any data over the years in any circumstance, including a house fire that destroyed all our possessions a few years ago. However, I acknowledge that for users that maintain much more data than I, using 'drag and drop' to copy modified files on USB drives would be extremely tedious.

Thanks
    I work similarly to Gerald. My data backup needs are relatively minor so I just drag and drop data to 2 other PCs on our home network. I suppose I could also drop copies to my Ext HD but I feel safe with 3 copis of my data. I do not even need to B/U each day, so when necessary I B/U.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Medico For This Useful Post:

midnight (2011-08-13)

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,398 Times in 1,221 Posts
    Imaging is the main component of my backup strategy, done once a week. For current working documents, I keep them in synch between the laptop and desktop using Windows Live Mesh.

New Lounger
    Thanks

SyncToy

You may want to look at the MS free SyncToy for your purpose,
    Not the Control Panel Sync Center, that's for offline files.
    Sync is exactly that and does not preserve copies of old versions
    as many backup programs do, if you need that feature, or you can
    control it manually.
    Of course Macrium does incremental backups as well and that may be all you really need.

SyncToy download
    http://www.microsoft.com/download/en....aspx?id=15155

Thanks
    Thanks, I find SyncToy quite useful.

on the subject of backup, I employ a somewhat different backup strategy. I separate out as much user data as possible from the day to day operating
    system. I take the approach that the operating system is inherently unreliable.
    I recently switched to Macrium Reflect from the Windows 7 native Backup & Restore mostly for technical reasons due to my specific setup, and also
    due to limitations in the Windows offering. Imaging is done only rarely on an as-needed basis. I employ other multiple drives and burned DVDs as my main
    sources of hard copy backup.

I highly recommend making the Macrium [linux based] boot disk.