Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,162 Times in 1,069 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Ted Myers View Post
    I do not set my home network as a public network. But I do use the highest level of encryption (WPA2-Personal with my linksys router), a good password to sign on to the router and use a MAC Address filter to only allow certain devices to connect with my router. I realize this can be bypassed, but it is one more level of protection.
    If you allow me, Ted, you have another tool at your disposal, regarding the way you classify your local network, that is much more effective - Online Armor's trusting of interfaces and computers. By default I do not trust any interfaces and only trust the known computers in my network. This means only trusted computers will get to access any other of your computers, regardless of whether they are on the same network or not. So even if someone managed to break in to your network, they wouldn't be able to access any of your computers.

We all know the best security is achieved by a layered approach and, here, OA gives you another mechanism to add to what you may have already in place.

Thanks
    Yes Rui, you are right. I have set this up so that I only trust PCs on my network. I have this set for both our laptops. The desktop is only turned on when I'm sending data backups to it, and it does have MSE and Win 7 firewall so I feel pretty confident that during the short times it's actually on, it is secure.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

Thanks
    Bobprimak,
    Programs like Insidder, Netstumbler, xirus Wi Fi Inspector and the like do show hidden networks that do not broadcast SSIDs. This is why disabling broadcast SSID adds very little to wireless network security.

Jerry

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12