5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Upgrading OL 2003 to OL 2010

I have a new Win 7 laptop running OL 2003. I want to install OL 2010, but first "clean up" my Outlook.pst file from 2003. By cleaning up I mean eliminating extra Calendars, Personal folders (I have 2), etc. Should I export the desired 2003 folders to a new pst file and then upgrade from that one? I know that I have to uninstall Office 2003 before installing 2010.
    HH

Thanks
    I just imported my PST into Outlook 2010. You can clean it up before or after!
    BATcher

Time prevents everything happening all at once...

3. The Following User Says Thank You to BATcher For This Useful Post:

Howard Hillman (2011-08-07)

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,398 Times in 1,221 Posts
    I second BATcher's opinion. You do not need to worry about cleaning up to migrate t Outlook 2010. You can use the same file and delete stuff before or after you import. In the end, you can compact the file, just to make sure that most space is recovered. The compaction is not indispensable, though.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to ruirib For This Useful Post:

Howard Hillman (2011-08-07)

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks for both posts. Since there is a file conversion from 2003 to 2010, and Microsoft warns that it make take quite a while, I would expect that cleaning up extraneous junk in 2003 first would lead to faster conversion. Or does it not make much difference?
    HH

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,398 Times in 1,221 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Howard Hillman View Post
    Thanks for both posts. Since there is a file conversion from 2003 to 2010, and Microsoft warns that it make take quite a while, I would expect that cleaning up extraneous junk in 2003 first would lead to faster conversion. Or does it not make much difference?
    HH
    Unless you think the size reduction will be very noticeable, I wouldn't worry too much. I think you do not need to remove stuff that maybe you wouldn't want to remove, just to improve the conversion time.

Lounger
    Thanks
    It is not really a conversion from Outlook 2003 to Outlook 2010 that is occurring, it is the fact that the PST file is being changed from ANSI to Unicode. Outlook 2003 supported both types and it seems you chose the ANSI one. With Unicode you can store more than 2GB in the same PST file among other improvements. Outlook 2010 I think is the first version of Outlook that forces the change, but it is a needed one.