2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Shortcut pinned to the taskbar idisappears when viewing "all programs".

I pinned a shortcut for a program (Virtualdub, video processing software) to the taskbar but it appears in a special place at the top, and when I click on "all programs" it disappears. "All programs" doesn't include the one I intentionally added. How do I overcome this maddening "feature" (?) Is there away I can just paste a shortcut into the Start Menu folder? (Windows search didnt' find it, so I don't know where it is).
    Last edited by jsallen; 2011-08-08 at 00:26.

Thanks
    You should be able to add a shortcut to the app on the Start Orb. If there is no Program folder for the app on the All Programs list, you should be able to find the app in the Windows Explorer, C Drive, Programs (86) or Programs folders. Open the app folder and locate the .exe file for the app. Once you do, right click the .exe file and choose Pin to Start Menu. This will place a shortcut on the Start Orb top level for the app.

note: Programs (86) holds the 32 Bit apps, Programs holds the 64 Bit apps
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    If you want it to come up in All Programs, find the .exe Ted stated, right-click it, click "Send to", and click Desktop (create shortcut). Click the Start orb, right-click All Programs, click "Open", and place the shortcut in the Programs folder that opens. If you have a 32-bit version of Win 7 you will only have a Program Files folder vs the Program Files (x86). The special place you mentioned is the Pinned area of the start menu.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,398 Times in 1,221 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jsallen View Post
    I pinned a shortcut for a program (Virtualdub, video processing software) to the taskbar but it appears in a special place at the top, and when I click on "all programs" it disappears. "All programs" doesn't include the one I intentionally added. How do I overcome this maddening "feature" (?) Is there away I can just paste a shortcut into the Start Menu folder? (Windows search didnt' find it, so I don't know where it is).
    If I understood you right, that's precisely how the pinning to the task bar works. Once you pin a program, it appears at the top area, when you click the Start Orb. By being there, it allows you to access it very rapidly, avoiding the need to go into All Programs and visually search for it. Why would you go into All Programs to access this program, when you can do it much faster immediately after click the Start Orb.

You also need to be aware that all programs have an entry in the menu accessible through the All Programs option. It is placed there after installation, unless the program offered a choice to add it to the Start menu and you unchecked it (some programs offer this option, not all). Depending on the specific program, the shortcut to it in the All Programs menu can be a simple menu, and it will show in the top of the menu or it can be a shortcut "inside a folder". In the latter case, you will need to look for the folder (sometimes it has the program name, other times the manufacturer name) and then click it to find the shortcut to the program.
    Pinning a program won't remove this All Programs entry, but it will neither add it, if it had not been added during the program installation.

HTH

Thanks
    Thanked 1,457 Times in 1,326 Posts
    Is it just me or do we have a failure to communicate?

1. Task Bar {Red Arrow}
    2. Start Menu {Yellow Arrow}
    A) Above Yellow arrow Start Menu Pin Area
    B) Below Yellow arrow Start Menu Recently/Most Used Area

Now if your icon is pinned to 2A Rurib is correct.

However, if your icon is actually pinned to the Task Bar and it is disappearing you have an entirely different problem. I first thought you might have the task bar set to auto hide so I tried that but the task bar stays up when the Orb is clicked and when All Programs is selected. If this is where the icon is pinned and it is disappearing when you click All programs there is something buggered somewhere, unfortunately, I don't know where.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    May the Forces of good computing be with you!

RG

PowerShell & VBA Rule!

My Systems: Desktop Specs
    Laptop Specs

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,398 Times in 1,221 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by RetiredGeek View Post
    Is it just me or do we have a failure to communicate?
    You have a good point there, RG .