Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Lounger
    Thanks

Clearing out temporary files

Since getting a W7 computer, I notice that there seems to be more temp files (%temp%), and the folder doesn't seem to eliminate them itself. I've been going through them now and then, and deleting anything over a month old. Even now, it shows as 376MB in Disk Cleanup and has over 200 files in it.
    Having a SSD, I try to keep it free of anything not needed.

I do run Disk Cleanup each night and always check the boxes for Temp Internet Files, Offline Web Pages and Recycle Bin, but rarely anything else. I'm never sure if it's OK to completely delete all the Temporary Files.

Thanks
    Hi Pictor,
    A better cleaning tool is http://www.filehippo.com/download_ccleaner/ use it with default setting, but I always untick 'Empty Recyclebin'
    George's PC Specs. / Laptop. Desktop.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Pictor View Post
    Since getting a W7 computer, I notice that there seems to be more temp files (%temp%), and the folder doesn't seem to eliminate them itself. I've been going through them now and then, and deleting anything over a month old. Even now, it shows as 376MB in Disk Cleanup and has over 200 files in it.
    Having a SSD, I try to keep it free of anything not needed.

I do run Disk Cleanup each night and always check the boxes for Temp Internet Files, Offline Web Pages and Recycle Bin, but rarely anything else. I'm never sure if it's OK to completely delete all the Temporary Files.
    I concur with your observation about more temporary files.

As long as you have the bare minimum set of programs running you should be able to delete any and all temporary files. Just be sure you do not have any install or uninstall activities pending a reboot.

Joe

Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks Joe - I don't have a lot running all the time (ACDSee, Kaspersky, ADCalendar, plus of course Outlook, and IE most of the time - I regularly use Photoshop & download images from my camera too) - all are closed down before I run Disk Cleanup.

So, as long as I didn't install or uninstall anything on a day I choose to empty that folder, it should be OK ?

I also tend to leave deleted things like this in the recycle bin for a day or so until I'm sure everything works - even though I'd be hard pressed to know which the culprit was

Thanks Roderunner also - if at all possible I don't want to install any programmes that I can live without. I don't even have Superantispyware installed on this computer, and use their online scanner instead every couple of weeks for deleting tracking cookies.

Administrator
    Thanks
    You should be OK. I'd make sure to shutdown Photoshop, Outlook, & IE just to be extra careful.

Joe

6. The Following User Says Thank You to JoeP517 For This Useful Post:

Pictor (2011-08-08)

Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks Joe - I only do Disk Cleanup and manual deleting of those temp files last thing at night when everything else is shut down, so I'll delete a chunk of those and see how that goes

Gold Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Pictor View Post
    I only do Disk Cleanup and manual deleting of those temp files last thing at night when everything else is shut down, so I'll delete a chunk of those and see how that goes
    Pictor,
    Hello,
    I would like to add that i have been (manually deleting ) "Temp files" on all my OS's with no problems... In addition to CCleaner. If you go to C:> Users>"Your PC Name">AppData>Local>Temp... and select all files to delete. If you OS needs it ... it won't be removed ... The rest will . Regards Fred
    PlainFred

None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free (J. W. Von Goethe)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Just Plain Fred View Post
    Pictor,
    If you go to C:> Users>"Your PC Name">AppData>Local>Temp... and select all files to delete. If you OS needs it ... it won't be removed ... The rest will . Regards Fred
    I agree with that but it is a heck of a lot faster using %temp% to get to the temporary files folder

Just checked mine and it has 144MB of detritus and I honestly can't say when I last cleared that folder as I have never seen the build-up of remnants that happened in previous versions of Windows.
    Last edited by Browni; 2011-08-08 at 22:23.

Thanks
    I also use CCleaner as well as Privacy Mantra for cleaning temp files. In addition I use a batch file originally developed by Fred Langa to help with this process. This batch file runs Disk Cleanup in the super setting (you pick out what you wish to clean) as well as cleaning any temp folder you specify. Just cut and paste into Notepad, then save to your desktop as Cleanup.bat. (Obviously you would have to modify the paths for your PC):

cleanmgr /sageset:99
    del /q /s "C:\Users\Ted\AppData\Local\Temp\*.*"
    del /q /s "C:\Windows\Temp\*.*"
    del /q /s "C:\Temp\*.*"
    cleanmgr /sagerun:99

cleanmgr is Win 7 Disk Cleanup. In addition I have specifiedd 3 additional folders. You can specify and temp location you wish, including log files, etc.

This is specifically for Win 7, but if you have another OS, the batch file can be modified for any version of Windows. I started using this during Win 98 and coninued through all versions to Win 7.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

Thanks
    I've a BATch file which I've been quite happily using for years, on XP and Windows 7, which includes the line
    del c:\*.tmp /s

On Windows 7 it deletes a bunch of files from C:\Windows\winsxs with extensions "tmpll" and "tmplx", but I haven't seen a problem from this yet...
    BATcher

Dear Diary, today the Hundred Years War started ...

Administrator
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by BATcher View Post
    I've a BATch file which I've been quite happily using for years, on XP and Windows 7, which includes the line
    del c:\*.tmp /s

On Windows 7 it deletes a bunch of files from C:\Windows\winsxs with extensions "tmpll" and "tmplx", but I haven't seen a problem from this yet...
    This article, Sharing Start GPOs mentions .tmplx files. Does this apply? I can't find anything useful on .tmpll files though.

Joe

Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Just Plain Fred View Post
    Pictor,
    Hello,
    If you OS needs it ... it won't be removed ... The rest will . Regards Fred
    Thanks Fred - that confirms what I suspected the one time I checked the box for temporary files in disk Cleanup shortly after I got the W7 computer ...it left quite a number behind.

I always go into the temp folder by start, type in %temp%, then press enter. I selected only files up to around two weeks ago last night and deleted those for now - it halved the size of the folder, and everything seems to be working OK today.

Thanks
    For a bit more advanced cleaning (run as a batchfile) above the sageset 99;

%SystemRoot%\System32\Cmd.exe /c Cleanmgr /sageset:65535 & Cleanmgr /sagerun:65535
    But be warned, this can damage your ability to uninstall WU and service packs.

Thanks
    The nice thing about using a batch file that you write yourself, (or get some help from a friend) is that you can be very specific about just what junk you delete and when you delete it.

A simple one-liner can do a lot, but searching through your HD for places that programs store .tmp files, .bak files, .log files, etc. can go a long ways toward keeping your HD clean, lean and mean. (running much more efficiently)

For all the older OS's, up through XP, I used the Deltree.exe command for deleting junk, It's a very powerful command (DOS external command) and can take out just one file, one type of file or it can delete a whole file tree, sub-directories, etc.
    Example:

Deltree /y "C:\temp\*.*"
    or
    Deltree /y "C:\Windows\Temp\*.*"

or, for deleting the Firefox Temporary Internet Files
    Deltree /y "%SystemDrive%\Documents and Settings\Alexi\Local Settings\Application Data\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\rilwr39v.default\Cac he\*.*"
    * that exact path will be different on every computer

Some junk folders are so well hidden, that you really have to look for them.
    But the effort does pay off in the long run, with a cleaner and more efficient computer.

Vista and W-7 didn't seem to want to accept the Deltree program, so I use this statement to replace it.

Echo Y| Del "C:\temp\*.*"

then Del won't stop to ask me "are you sure" or some such thing.

I know from years of experience that most users won't do their maintenance even if the shortcut is right on their desktop, so I install my cleanup batch file in the root directory and then put a shortcut to it in the Startup folder, so they get a free cleanup every time the computer is booted up. In the shortcut, I set it to run 'Minimized' so they never see it on their screen.
    I use a short and pretty Generic cleanup batch file for my customers, but a much longer and more detailed Cleanup batch file for myself. My own Cleanup.bat program is almost 30 lines long.

You can use the windows search app to find the location of files with certain extensions, like search for:
    *.tmp
    *.bak
    *.bac
    *.~mp

Then you can look for certain folder names like "Cache" and "temp".

Happy Computing!
    Experience is truly the best teacher.

Backup! Backup! Backup! GHOST Rocks!

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by DrWho View Post
    Vista and W-7 didn't seem to want to accept the Deltree program, so I use this statement to replace it.
    Echo Y| Del "C:\temp\*.*"
    then Del won't stop to ask me "are you sure" or some such thing.
    It looks like it was some time since you did DEL /? on Vista or Windows 7!
    Have a look at the /Q switch...
    BATcher

Dear Diary, today the Hundred Years War started ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast