2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Acer P206HL LCD/LED Monitor

Help needed to understand how to effect user manual settings.

The monitor came with a CD containing a so-called user's manual, but it falls far short of understandability. It shows a picture of an OSD (which I think means On Screen Display), which I can produce by pressing any one of the five manual 'buttons' that can be found on the bottom frame of the screen. However, I cannot do anything more with that display beyond bringing it up on the lower right corner of the screen.

The OSD displays five on-screen 'buttons': e (within a green circle, within a square key); AUTO (within a square key); a pic-to-graph of a lined page (i.e., signifying a Menu); a pic-to-graph of a speaker with plus and minua symbols; Input (withing a square key).

The so-called User's manual offers nothing in the way of what can be done with this display, how you actually activate any one of the displayed keys, or what the various keys would do if one could figure out how to activate one of them. Who ever it was that wrote and who ever it was the okayed the content of this so-called user manual seems not to know anything about what it was they wrote about.

If anyone has mastered Acer's user manual, I would appreciate any advice.

flavet
    Dell Inspiron 15R, 8GB, Win7 Home Premium 64bit SP1
    All help truly appreciated!

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    So, once you bring up the OSD, none of the monitor's other buttons do anything, right? If not, sounds like a defect to me.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    It did not occur to me to press a second button. Why would something be created in that way?
    I just did that: pressed a second button after pressing the first to bring up the OSD, and wah-la, it showed the content (I guess) of that second button.
    It still does not make any sense to me of what the options do. It is insane. Acer needs to publish, in the so-called user manual, a complete and understandable discription of the OSD.
    So, if someone could walk me through the buttons, and describe what I should do, and what I should expect when each is pressed, I would appreciate it.
    Incidently, just for amplification, when I press any of the buttons for the first time, the OSD appears, and stays on screen for about five seconds and then it disappears.
    So, I guess there is not a defect with the operation of the OSD, but rather with their write-up.
    flavet
    Last edited by flavet; 2011-08-08 at 12:30.
    Dell Inspiron 15R, 8GB, Win7 Home Premium 64bit SP1
    All help truly appreciated!

Thanks
    You can download a user manual here;http://support.acer.com/us/en/produc...x?modelId=2250
    This seems to explain a solution to your problem.BTW,click on the....User Guide tab.
    Last edited by chowur; 2011-08-08 at 22:51. Reason: adding more information.
    Problems cannot be solved by the same level of thinking that created them. -Albert Einsten

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    @chowur
    Thank you for your reply. However, please note what I say in my second paragraph. I have a User's Guide on the CD that came with the monitor, but the content of that guide is woefully inadequate. They keep referring to keys or buttons but do not show where they are located or how to actually get them activatable. I have seen some pitiful guides over the many years I have been using PCs, but this one wins the booby prize. Luckily, the way the monitor powered up seems to be adequate for my use (so far as I know, since I have no idea what the OSDs control or reset). Finally, no one need ask me if I would recommend Acer products.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    flavet, did you ever solve this problem? I just bought an Acer monitor S221 and have exactly the same difficulty with the manual. I need first to change the timeout for the OSD, as it shuts off so quickly I never get the chance to try things. I too have not found which buttons you have to press, partly because of the timeout. I really need to change the Wide setting, as it is distorting all my photographs. Websites I know to be 800 pixels wide now take up the whole 1920 pixels of the new monitor. I am planning on going back to the store and demanding they show me physically how to change the settings!

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    dear mole, see item #5 in this thread. I found that I was able to use the monitor as it came out of the box. I gave up on trying to make sense out of the content of the user guide/manual. I just feel that if a product maker is going to produce anything, including hardware and software(the manual), it should test all of the items produced before releasing them into the public domain. As a while-ago tech writer it raises the hair on the back of my neck to read such rubbish. Sorry I can't be of more help.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    >>a pic-to-graph of a speaker with plus and minua symbols; Input (withing a square key).

So your Acer has speakers, making that button something to do with volume. And it probably has more than one way to connect to your video card: VGA, DVI and/or HDMI, which that button will let you pick.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thank you both for replying: it's good to know there are people around who will help. I have - HOORAY! - finally cracked the problem, by identifying which of the 5 buttons under the screen control the movement of a "cursor". It's the second and third from the left, if anyone else has the problem. I do think Acer could have made that clear in their User Guide. Panasonic, however, are also pretty poor at giving user-oriented explanations. All these manuals are written these days by engineers who think "everyone knows this ..." and we don't.